Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dakar 2020

rob rule

Morning All
I see very little interest in the recently completed Dakar 2020 - why?
-8d1LXFdGKgC_7CDR9okNdx1p7ZPBxG14vQEgDMVmOBNos97uCexIWZuEpuK7i2-QARyyVWYL8vEbkuNneZ__Ct4=s657-no.jpg

Do you mean in general or on the forum Rob?

I follow it with a passion.. seems a bit tame this year.. Maybe coz its in Saudi... Still love it 'tho' Especially the Bikes:thumbup:.....Im a bit old skool so preferred the old Peter Hansel days with the Super Tenere's and the old Africa Twins Battling it out

I follow it too, especially the bikes. They say the TT is the toughest motorcycle race in the world but it’s a walk in the Park compared to the solo unsupported bike class in the Dakar. Unfortunately the whole event was overshadowed this year by the fatal crash of Paulo Goncalves.

Last edited:
Yes TP Very tragic, He never hit anything, or anything hit him, It was high speed, but any other day they brush them selves down.. And call the chopper.. Brave lads...RIP

Over here in Spain we get a two hour preview, an hour and half each night and a two hour programme after with all the Spanish teams (all classes) present and many of them interviewed about it went for them all on the national TV sports channel. Obviously it's all in Spanish.

A couple of guys we have met who live in Aguilas run an 80 series in various Raids in Africa and run a Hilux in the national off-road championship but getting enough sponsorship to compete in the Dakar is a whole different ball-game. They are young enough and passionate about off-road raids, so, in time, they will probably get there.

This year for the first time, time excluded competitors were allowed to continue, although not in the general classification, because for most competitors just finishing the Dakar is a significant achievement and they were credited with their stage finishing positions.

Regards,

Rodger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The reporting in the UK was truly woeful !!
Carlton Kirby is appalling at the commentary, even worse than his ignorant drivel on the Tour De France...

And then there was RedBull TV... those 2 millennial buffoons, who think their left had "rapping gesticulation" with every word they uttered was cool and hip ! ( and they knew nothing) was even more disgraceful.

With the exception of the guy who does the 'on-site' interviews during the Dakar, the studio people are genuinely interested - in fact that one of them was, I think, the first Spaniard to drive a truck on one of the early Dakars, and they appear to be interested in the event rather than self promoting. Which makes a major change from the normal media-types.
They could. of course, show more film but I think the footage released to the tv companies is restricted by the Dakar organisation.
Overall we get great coverage and when Mr Alonso states that this is the most difficult thing he has ever attempted... well maybe that says it all.
Originally @rob rule asked why so little interest on here... Personally I find the event fascinating but overall it does little for the cause of the off-roading/overlanding that most of us do - where the footprint we leave is just our tyre tracks - so together with poor media coverage maybe the appeal is low because it does seem to be evolving into an off-road race and to the uninitiated perhaps they class all off-roading as this, which, of course, is not good for the future of the sort of stuff we do.

Regards,

Rodger

Back