Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dare buying HJ61 with rebulit engine, 600k km?

Northern Outpost

Country Flag
finland
Hi all!

First post here, thinking of switching my 110 Lux for a Hj61.

What are the reliable sources for rebuild kits for the 12HT?
Previous owner had done a complete engine rebuild, (not yet asked where he sourced the parts). What resellers/kits should I be wary of? Car has done little over 600k km (370k miles). Rust had been done in 2010, will have to take a closer look if/when I go check out the car.
If you know of any other stuff to watch out for, or other tips I sure appreciate that too :)

Thx in advance!

Hello and welcome...

My initial reaction was that 600k kms for an engine rebuilt sounds IMO quite low as these engines are pretty indestructable but rust is the major problem. Other mambers will no doubt be able to give you more detailed information but 12HT is fairly rare in Europe.
Reliable source for parts is Euro4x4 parts.
Some parts for pre-85(?) are no longer available e.g. ps pump

Regards,

Rodger

Hello and welcome...

Thanks! :)
By your response would that mean that even a 600k+ 12HT that has not been rebuilt isn't something I should be scared of buying? (all depending case to case of course, no engine survives neglect...)

( this is a 1989 Hj61 in case it matters, 652K on the clock, and all rust fixed 10 years ago according to owner)
Should availability of parts be a concern? Yeah a lot of 2H´s but not a lot of 12HTs here...
Mainly want the 61 for the factory lockers and preferably a bit more oomph than my 2.4 N/A Hilux, also the third seat so the Wifey and daughter can come along :)

When you mentioned rust, is it panel rust or frame rust (or both)? Done some research but haven't really found a clear answer... ( If need be I can probably sort out the panel rust, but welding the frame is different thing altogether)
Concerned if I need to check the frame extra carefully when looking at the car, don't want it to turn into a split in half Navara :p

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer Rodger, I really appreciate it!

Engines run on 1 million km on good service internals. Important things are always compression, cambelts / water pump, injectors and importantly the fuel pump rebuild is always is missed.

@Dervis Garip

I have no problem doing timing belts WP etc, so that is not a problem, injectors didn't seem all that bad at around 65€ a piece. What about fuel pump, I know we are talking money getting them serviced but are they a lot more expensive to get rebilt than say a 2H fuel pump, read somewhere that they were...

Problem is that any checks need to be done on site, compression seems to a PIA to check, really struggling to find much I can do to verify the condition of the engine.
Did I get it correct, a puff of smoke on cold starts that lasts only a second is OK, any more and there may be issues, would you agree?

Should I be worried if owner did engine rebuild with Ebay (or other non-verified) rebuild kit?
Should I even consider buying it?

or will I be better off with a non rebuilt same milage crusier insted? (NOTE, I will not be tuning for HP, now or in the future)

With all things used knowledge reduces risk factors. You're on the right lines on cold start but also check upon driving on cold start to running temperature than performance levels with full load/smoke levels on hill climbs. If there are puffs of constant black smoke the fuel pump needs rebuilding as a possibility. This is prior to the injectors being in good shape and fueling is correct too.

Gone through all these steps on my rebuilt 1HDT motor. Rebuilt the fuel pump because of the reasons above but also had vibrations at 70-90kmph also. This was the last thing after fueling tune, new injectors, etc.

P.s upon rebuilding was told after 250,000km on the fuel pump wear and tear starts. Mine was probably in the 600,000+ km.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Why not get a quote for a rebuild add it to the purchase price and then you only have to decide if its worth the cost in a worst possible scenario .

Panel rust is a problem: wheel arches, sills. lower tailgate and roof gutter at rear (on sides).
Chassis is usually fine.

Years ago there was a vid on Utube about the US scrappage scheme - a mint looking 60 arrived, admittedly a 2H, and the chap did same as with all scrappage cars - fill the engine with all sorts of chemicals and fire it up and rev it hard. Mormal cars last between 30 seconds and 2 minutes... he turned the engine off after 30 minutes... at a loss as how to destroy it.

With documented service history the engine should go one for ever!

Regards,

Rodger

If it's been rebuilt ask for details of parts/rebuilding company and why it was rebuilt. Shouldn't need another rebuild if done right, Alternatively how the vehicle drives and knowing what to check and look out for its best way forward. If you have an experienced friend/mechanic it's worth inspection before you finalize your purchase to get the whole vehicle checked out for no hidden surprises.

Back