Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dash ignition lights

Peter61

Country Flag
australia
Hi folks I have a 1988 61 12ht cruiser and for some reason the dash ignition lights stay on after start up , initially the problem started with the lights flickering , a relay inside the passenger kick board chatters in synch with the lights , I have checked and its ok engine has an original reconed Denco alternater and appears to be charging well , there is also no earth leakage from both new batteries . I have another 60 series 2h which has the identical problem and its doing my head in . So my question is does or has anybody come across this problem before as it seems to be a common theme as a friend has one which did the same..
Any help would be appreciated .

Regards

Ha Peter, it looks like there are no experts for this problem on this forum, and that includes me. :icon-cry:
Some of the dash lights would normally never go on, e.g. brake fluid level, so there is no way of checking if the bulb is still OK. To allow visual check before starting they are wired in such a way that when the alternator is not running, the lights are connected to the chassis (negative) through the alternator windings, main or field, will differ from car to car. Based on your post, we should assume that this connection might be made indirectly through a relay. When the alternator voltage rises, the relay should open and the dash lights should turn off.
I've seen different methods for connecting the relay or lights to ground via the alternator, just as there are different setups for the voltage regulator. Your alternator has one or more thin wires, one of them will be connected to the relay coil and/or combination meter, that is where you should look. The problem could be in the wiring itself or in the alternator. A diode may be involved somewhere. The circuit may or may not differ from the charge circuit so the fact that your alternator is charging does not necessarily mean all is fine.
Sorry I can't be more precise.

Had a similar problem around a month on our HJ61, turned out to be bad contacts in the ignition switch. Disconnected the battery and squirted a small amount of RP7 or CRC.....or Contact Cleaner, Cannot recall into the switch, turned on a few times, let switch/electrical connections dry out and reconnected the battery and all OK.

Back