Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dash mounted volt meter

No worries Clive I was only pulling your leg. You are probably right. I'm looking at getting a new cushion anyway so whatever happens it'll get sorted in good time.

I know, I know!

I've tried not to bully her into changing, 'cos then, even if she likes it, she'll find fault!

Those look great - just bought two for myself ... to be fitted in 12 months probably!

SC - is 14.8v considered overcharging a SLA?

I'm bumping this for Grant, 'cos it looks like Rich missed the question...

They look good Clive and love the blue lighting.

They look good Clive and love the blue lighting.

Yep, I quite like the blue too, and all the dash pod illumination is blue (led) too, so they don't look out of place.

Blue is cool... :character-blues:

I'm bumping this for Grant, 'cos it looks like Rich missed the question...
Apologies Grant, and thank you Clive, I did miss the post. The simple answer is Yes.
This may be of some help but depending on the type of battery you mean, http://www.silvertel.com/images/technical-articles/charging_sealed_lead_acid_batteries.pdf

I am taking it as being the sort that's in alarms, golf trolleys, that sort of thing that can be installed in any orientation. 14.4 v is the maximum but the chargers are more intelligent for sealed batteries as opposed to the standard maintenance free (sealed) car batteries.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Bit late to this thread but could I ask you knowledgeable types what the ideal output for a USB in a car?
Mostly I am seeing 3.1 amp? This seems a funny amount? Are there various amperage available and what is an "ideal" amperage for charging a smartphone that is sucking electrickery at an alarming rate because you are using the sat nav app and the GPS?

Also, do iPads or tablets need more/less or the same as smartphones?

Bit late to this thread but could I ask you knowledgeable types what the ideal output for a USB in a car?
Mostly I am seeing 3.1 amp? This seems a funny amount? Are there various amperage available and what is an "ideal" amperage for charging a smartphone that is sucking electrickery at an alarming rate because you are using the sat nav app and the GPS?

Also, do iPads or tablets need more/less or the same as smartphones?

Hi, me answering any questions on electrickery is quite amusing, but IME it seems that appliance batteries these days, can really suck in the juice quickly, if it’s available.

I’ve a 4-point USB mains charger (nothing special) and that has 2 x 1A and 2 x 2.4A outlets.

I’m sure that the car ones are higher, so your suggested 3.1A would be even better. My expansive knowledge of the black art tells me that the amperage of a charger can be as high as you wish, the appliance will take what it want’s to the limit of availability.

The car USBs I have, still give charge even when snag nav is on, plus google maps and whatever you want, so I find them great.

Worth checking before you buy that they’re not 1A, ‘cos that really is not enough. 2.4A may be though...

Smartphones generally need minimum 1A but iPads etc need 2A so a 3.1A will have a 2A or 2.1A and a 1A unless you find 2x 2.1A ones which are available but not common. I found some round hole fitting ones on EBay.

If you need to just maintain the charge of your pad or phone, then anything will do.

If you need maximum charging rates, there are some choices to make. 3.1 A as you found is very good, as long as we talk standard USB 2 or 3 plugs. Many newer devices with a USB-C connector support even faster charging, if the charger has a USB-C connector and supports USB-PD (Power Delivery). The USB-C connection supports voltages up to 20 volts and up to 5 A, so that you could charge with 100 W instead of the old standard of 5 W. You will need a USB-C to USB-C cable though, or USB-C to Lightning for Apple.
There aren't that many car chargers yet that has USB-PD, but a few have shown up.

It is always the device, the phone or pad itself, that decides the charging rate, and takes what is available. So there is no such thing as a "too big USB charger" as long as it follows the rules (5 volt on USB 2/3, 5 volt and up to 20 volts for USB-C)

Back