Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Daughter wants a petrol 120 series

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi All,

My daughter is looking for an early 120 series, petrol.
Tows a horse box with 2 horses.
3000 miles a year max.

Similar to this'

Originally wanted a 2000 Discovery, which I very quickly talked her out of.

Engine wise, I believe they are reasonably bomb proof.
However I understand that many suffer from rotting exhausts, probably more so than the diesels.

Where would be the starting point under the chassis for a small toffee hammer test?

Graham

Last edited:
General check at rear axle and chassis. Also the front cills...

Why Petrol ! A diesel is a much better for towing more low end torque and better fuel economy

Hi Steve,
Such little miles, looking at problems with a diesel choice.
I am guessing even 3000 miles a year is an overestimate.
With such little miles, even the poorer MPG of petrol is palatable

An 18 year old 120 would need a detailed inspection to see if it was up to towing. The rear section of the chassis can fill up with dirt and hold moisture. This is right where the tow bar bolts to the chassis so it would corrode from the inside out. Its not made so it drains out. I took the bumper off mine, cut the last couple of mm off the end so it would drain out and removed all the crap in there. Also towing would put extra strain on an already old air suspension system.
From a towing perspective the diesel would be better. My neighbour ( who bought my V6 Collie) said whilst the petrol Collie towed her horsebox ok it wasn't a patch on her previous 1KZ engined Collie for towing.
As regards the exhaust, the V6 produces a lot of water vapour from cold so i'd think it wouldn't do the exhaust a lot of good and V6 exhaust sections are very hard to locate.
I tried a V6 4.0 09 plate 120 last year which was for sale local to me, I really fancied the idea but a test drive convinced me that it really wasn't a better drive than the diesel with the 5 spd auto which I have already.
Just a few observations to think about from my experiences.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ok Graham, but I cannot see what problems you would have with a diesel but Don't know your daughters age in relation to when she passed her test
but she will have to take a "Trailer" test, I assume you knew that !

Of all the bits that rot on an old 120 the exhaust would be the very least of my worries. I think you can find serious rot anywhere from the fuel tank (check the straps and where the straps bolt to the chassis) backwards.

Circular section cross member. The upper control arm mounts on the circular section cross member.
The square section cross member, probably go on the top where you can't easily see it first. The coil spring mounts on either side of this.
Rear axle casing. The turrets seem loads better than than on the 90, but coil spring seats go, as does the panhard rod mount. The turrets will go too of course.
As others have said the rear cross member will likely be full of mud, although they seem heavier duty than the other cross members.
And sills front and back near the wheel arches.
And fuel filler pipe, but like the exhaust that just bolts on.
And brake pipes where they disappear between chassis member and fuel tank.

All good other than that :)

As above exhaust would be the least of my worries, mainly cos MIJ exhausts MIJ Exhaust Systems Bespoke Stainless Steel Exhaust System remapping workshop Walsall West Midlands - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] at Walsall will make and fit a custom stainless jobbie whilst you wait, i've had two made and fitted by them for Subarus for just under £300 each with lifetime guarantee, yes one for a Cruiser is going to be a bit more.

On the other forum there's a thread going from a chap who's 4 litre has snapped the cam chain, no info as to why but its a rare enough engine in the UK so going to take some finding if it can't be rebuilt at a sensible cost.

Can understand why the others are suggesting Diesel, its not so much that they make any better or worse tow motors it's that there's no cost saving in buying the petrol version as you might expect.

Landcruisers keep high residuals, maybe for the expected mileage and the purpose of the vehicle you would find much better value seeking out something without the Toyota badge, ie a Kia Sorento or Hyundai Terracan.

Susan bought this 100 series V8 petrol
Screenshot_20210509-080845.jpg

I give it a good looking over, and only found the expected rust on the bottom of the upper tailgate, where the number plate lamps live.

Screenshot_20210509-080904.jpg

Apart from that, seems all working, height, cruise, folding mirrors, all good.

I drove it 50 miles back, on cruise at 75 mph, no issues.

Just need a replacement upper tailgate.

Well done, 100 series is a nice place to be

177k miles, just 2 previous owners.
Last owner did 8k miles in the 18 months he owned it, all the other miles by first owner.
The bottom of the upper tailgate is seriously rusted, the part what holds the number plate lights in place.

Back