Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Daytime Running Light DRL

Aeroelastic

Country Flag
uk
Hi anyone fitted DRL on a 90? I can’t find any photos online. For me it is a good safety feature.
mine being 96 model it doesn’t come with front fog. Thinking of fixing a short line type either below the headlight or on the brush bar as shown below.

I found an 80 series photo online though with DRL, second photo, this is not my car. but think they were fitted in place of the indicator? Is it allowed for MOT?

Attachments

• 30A4A812-D74F-4BFB-A1CF-2E44DEE379A3.jpeg
    30A4A812-D74F-4BFB-A1CF-2E44DEE379A3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
  • 4B7F8CA3-9BE4-49D2-8161-6168AD716256.jpeg
    4B7F8CA3-9BE4-49D2-8161-6168AD716256.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 56
I've had a set of "Ring" brand LED DRLs fitted for about 8 years and still going strong - must have some pics, will post soon. I installed them in the cut-out/vent in the bumper either side of the number plate. They're very light and can easily mount to the bumper plastic. Connecting them was very easy as comes with instructions and all necessary wiring and control box etc. In theory DRLs should come on when engine is started and go off, when normal lights are switched on - which is how I have mine wired but you can change to whatever configuration you prefer (not sure the MOT man is bothered?)

They're something like this, though perhaps not exactly the same;

Just seen the oic of your 90 and front nudge bar - that in some senses restricts places to mount the DRLs unless, of course, you mount them directly to the bar itself.

If it was me, I might look at a "spot light" type DRL, mount it lower down either side and wire them so them can double up as fog lights if necessary.

Having said that, I don't think I've ever missed not having front fog lights on the 90 in the last 16 years/150k miles. :thumbup:

Thanks, yeah if I mount it on the brush bar it will be on top of it.
will be nice t see a picture of yours... just to get some inspiration.
Will have a look at the Ring website.
Anyone else that has photos please share if you don’t mind...

Here's a pic of my DRLs, I also have a (very cheap) LED light bar that was fitted a around 5 years ago - it was more of an experiment really. It's pretty useless and many of the bulbs have blown, I've been meaning to replace with a decent one but don't really use it enough to justify the expense.

IMG_20201224_131150__01__01__01.jpg

Here's a pic of my DRLs, I also have a (very cheap) LED light bar that was fitted a around 5 years ago - it was more of an experiment really. It's pretty useless and many of the bulbs have blown, I've been meaning to replace with a decent one but don't really use it enough to justify the expense.

View attachment 169578

Thanks, it’s a really clean looking installation. I was actually after something similar. Don’t want them to long or obvious, just nice.

but mine won’t work like yours due to my brush bar, unless i mount them vertically like below.

Attachments

• D3F503A4-81F2-4651-9962-9DB7439B2C83.jpeg
    D3F503A4-81F2-4651-9962-9DB7439B2C83.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks.

It was because of your bar, that I thought, in that situation, I might opt for a DRL that doubles as a fog light mounted into the bumper itself - otherwise the bar starts looking very "busy". Obviously would involve cutting the bumper (hence why a circular light might be easier/more practical).

If you don't fancy cutting holes in your bumper, then you can always mount near the ends of the horizontal arm of your bar - see if that works for you and if not, then look at other options (including the bumper mount).

Good luck! :thumbup:

Cheers Chadr, yeah don’t really fancy drilling into the bumper. So I might go for those round ones with hoseclamp type mount end of the horizontal bar.

thanks.

probably something like below (not my car) but smaller.

Attachments

• A396937A-E84F-4217-A81E-FCF18CBE8B12.jpeg
    A396937A-E84F-4217-A81E-FCF18CBE8B12.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 51
Those lower lights are on Toyota mounts. They clamp around the bar with two pieces that bolt together. I have those on my truck . On your bar see if you have two small holes in the position those lights are in . They locate the clamp on the back clip to stop it moving down as your driving along. You might be lucky and be able to order them from Amayama or similiar using your VIN number

Cheers Steve H, I will have a look at my bar and see the pre drilled hole exist. Any photo of your 90 if you don’t mind sharing? Noticed that your Avatar is your truck but the picture is too small to see, when I clicked on it it says error or something like that...

Hi . Will try and get some photos this weekend. I take it you want the holes in the bar and brackets.

Hi Hope these help. You can see the hole I was talking about in the back of the bar. The clamps simply go round the bar and have a lip facing up to mount the lights to. I have moved mine inwards
IMG_20210104_114720[1].jpg
for now as I am repainting my fog lights but its too cold to paint them
IMG_20210104_114741[1].jpg
IMG_20210104_114711[1].jpg
at the moment.

Thanks for the photos. Will check mine when it’s less cold outside...

Back