Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dead 60

Ben Stratford

Supporter
Country Flag
england
Turned the key this morning - totally dead. Not even a click. Whats happening here?
Suggestions most welcome.

check list advice first port of call.

1. Battery - check amps
2. alternator current ampage reading
3. Power drain possibility if both are good.

If your a member of a recovery service they can best help if you don't have the equipment.

Good luck

Thanks for your help Dervis.
I havent had a chance to check anything yet but assume both batteries are flat due to an electrical issue draining them.
For a couple of days before i noticed that the glowplug light went off instantly rather than after a few seconds of warming up so potentially this would be the first thing to check

Ok, batteries were 9v and 3v !! Will charge them up before further checks.
Glow plug relay continuity ok without battery voltage applied will check operation once batteries refitted too

One battery charged overnight to 12.4V. The other was 6.4V then charged for 15 hours and became 6.8V so likely that its a dud, even though its 4 weeks old. Need to change it under guarantee

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Battery changed and fitted. Car started fine. Alternator output at 28.4V.
BUT the glow plug light isnt behaving normally. Usually it lights up for 4 or 5 seconds when i turn the key half way then when it goes out i start up.
Now whn i turn half way the light flicks on then goes off instantly.
What could be weong here?

Seems like the glow plug relay is stuck on which drains both batteries. So it has been disconnected for now

Sounds like your getting to the bottom of the issue Ben. Thankfully won't be to much more trouble for you.

Hope so dervis, its getting to be very frustrating. But I am learning along the way which is a positive

The final chapter.....
Turns out the alternator was rebuilt wrongly which burnt out the electrics and caused spurious issues. Once this was sorted, there was nothing wrong with the glow plug relay and everything is acting normally at last.

The final chapter.....
Turns out the alternator was rebuilt wrongly which burnt out the electrics and caused spurious issues. Once this was sorted, there was nothing wrong with the glow plug relay and everything is acting normally at last.

Wow that's a surprise to say the least not likely expected.... good to finally find the source Ben hopefully be the end of this issue now.

Back