Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Defender

Wow. I remember a friend of my Dad's getting a brand new P38 RR years ago and having issues from day 1. It was a fabulous drive with the air suspension and 4.6 V8 but had many visits to the dealers in it's first year. Eventually something big went on the engine, can't remember what, which was replaced under warranty, then he sold it.

Saw that. Had to have a little inner chuckle but a bit of despair as well. Do they just not care to get things right for their customers? Ok, this is what warranties are for and there can be teething troubles but…really!!?

The other thing that struck me is they're so complicated now even the stealers can't fix em! I bet they've knackered something when they upgraded the software, rather than it actually being a physical hardware fault with the camera module.

All these toys are nice when they work, but once they go wrong.....

World away from the old one innit!

Yep! That's only 'Gonna ' get worse, You cant load something up with that many electronics and camera's and shit, And then expect it Not to fail.. And i think that was the Basic Bog standard Steel wheel version.... I didn't Know it was Mandatory in the U.S to have a revers Camera ....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Bloke on the left is actually looking for the engine Check Light

"It's endless". That was the dealers frustrated comment to my friend who had to keep taking his range Rover back. They generally make brilliant cars but reliability gives them a bad name.

The only surprising thing about it is the car remains drivable despite the warning light , must guess that error is set to be fixed at its last under warranty main dealer service .

Dealer has no idea what was wrong going by the description on the job card .......

"We found out there was updated software so we tried that "

"We swapped the coil packs to the other cylinder's to see if the error code changed "

Clearing the error will have put the light out until the next time the same conditions generate the fault code again , unless the "software update" was to open up the parameters that allow the error to be generated ( often just widening the bracket a certain component can operate at without causing an error... most probably a resistance reading )

Modern electronic vehicles are a nightmare to diagnose when they are built properly by manufacturers who are renowned for making good kit ....the chances of doing it on a product made by Tata/ Landrover who since the series 1 have struggled with the concept of Ohms Law and basic wiring good practice are negligible .

like the look of the new Defender but I'd never buy anything from Land Rover
I do care about looks,handling and interiors,but no.1 to me is reliabilty
that's the reason I bought a Land Cruiser
I feel safer in a 4x4 and I'm on dirt tracks every day,so after some reading and asking mechanics I knew I only had one choice
my local mechanic then said ''so you bought a Land Cruser then,I'll not be seeing much of you from now on then''...

Shayne if you are inviting me to the TATA BBQ sorry to say that i wont be able to make this one but should be able to make the next ones

Where? About a mile from the dealer I'd think.

A good mate of mine ran a 200 TDI 110 for about 15 years & it was pretty good . Another friend bought a 2005 RR in 2012 as a non runner at an auction but he did own a garage & so could keep on top of the constant problems.It was a fabulous ride , 4 up on the way to a party at 80 MPH in the fast lane the low noise levels were spooky . my mate who had the 110 traded it for a disco 2 that doesn't seem any less reliable that a 95 .

We had a brand new X3 get recovered in with 87 miles on, part back order and we now own the car!

I had my 300Tdi for 7 years without any serious problems although I did almost fall foul of the timing belt issue which I caught just in time. It was a nice ride and for a 2.5L unit the engine pulled well. Build quality wasn't it's strong point though. The corrosion between the Ali body panels and steel frame was starting to break through (how long have LR been making steel framed/Ali skinned vehicles?) and the panel gaps were all over the place. It was a mechanically injected '94 model, before the electronic revolution took off.

Back