Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Defender

That will be 'nowt' but trouble from here on in... Id have my money back and walk away...... Amazes me how the bloke is still convincing himself that its a great off roader and a great vehicle,,, The only reason Land Rover are trying a bit harder to sort this, Is because this story is plastered all over You Tube (The World) Basically..

Welcome to the future , if and when they get it right it will last 3 years . For most a car is their second biggest financial commitment after buying a home and the plan is to melt them down and sell them back to you every 3 years because its good for the planet don't you know .

I was talking to a neighbour the other day, he has an old style Defender with about 60k on it, had no problems and he was talking about laying it up and giving it a good clean (4 years on the farm have left their mark, I don't think that the new Defender would take kindly to sheep or calves in the back) as an investment. He's been thinking about getting a HiLux. The list of recalls here for LR don't inspire much confidence:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
.... Bare with it or skip to about half way.... I would have started the Lemon Law case from day One, Then again i wouldn't have bought it in the first place, And he still maintains he loves the Defender, I know its good for you tube hits, But he deserves every thing he gets IMO.... Its been broken for 20 days out of 24 :lol:

Unbelievable! He's right - you really couldn't make this up.

I don't think any normal private buyer would have persisted this long with trying and trying again to get a new car from a dealer that worked. They would have taken the money back offer by this time. Full marks to TFL for sticking with it, they are really going to show up all the problems with manufacture and service. Credit to the dealer, he sounds like he is really trying, but is let down by a crap product and poorly trained maintenance staff.

I'm really enjoying this, thanks for posting, Karl.

Speechless. But of course this is an isolated incident....The rest will all be brilliant. Won't they?

Ahead of its time , new cars that can't be repaired at all is a few years away yet .

Trouble with these modern cars is that nobody at the factory knows the whole cars' workings inside out.
I've had bad experience with a brand new golf that always ran badly and after 3 years and circa 16k miles packed up and the dealer said they did not know what was wrong. However they did pay me full market value if I offered to buy another new one which I did. as I was stuck. After 3 years the air bag light is on and their computer cannot isolate the fault. Also found the boot FULL of water and after trying to find the leak but failing I drilled 6 x 14mm holes in the floor. Job done.

Have to agree that I am very wary of the "new Defender"... much like many other new cars. As to being cocky about having a Cruiser... well 20-30 years on and I reckon maintenance is more important than original build quality. I've ran many 4x4s and the 80 series is really no more or less reliable than most of them at a similar age (and notably less reliable and more expensive to run than a 200Tdi Defender, at least in my experience).

Unfortunately we are now paying the price for previous owners thinking that Landcruiser reliability means no need to service....

Anyhoo... agree the next couple of years will be "interesting" re the new Defender.... :)

powerfulukltd have put tons of accessories on their new Defender. Interesting but makes me want to keep my Prado as long as I can!!

and spending all day not finding them is a bad day! :D

I know exactly what you mean though - you'd think there would be JLR people wanting to get stuck into that to see WTF is going on!

I remember the outcry from the Defender crowd when electronic traction control was added, around '96/'97 I think. They were worried about the durability of electronics in hard core offroading, particularly wading. This new one takes gizmos to a new level.

Most recent fault that was a true head scratcher took nearly 5 weeks to resolve!!!
Customer bought it used from another dealer only 6 months old, few days later did a remote software update (99%success rate)

Had technical involved, lots of various programming patches by myself and technical, 6.5k in parts and 26 hours clocked to it!!!

Oscilloscope testing etc to monitor signals eventually found the software that went wrong corrupted multiple components!! Seems it downloaded a glitch.

The only actual fault/complaint was the head up display (shows speed etc on the windscreen for the driver) didn't work after the update.
Had some sleepless nights with that one and lots of time staring at computer screens!!

Customer said don't you just plug it in and it tells you what's wrong!! Didn't actually say anything was wrong lol. (I get that a lot from customers though annoyingly)

I've never given up on a fault or returned one to factory either.
Faults like those i love.

Gary that is brilliant - respect - they need to get you over at JLR! :)

You'd think with all that YouTube publicity they would have found whatever resource it takes to get a result. Wonder how many people were considering a Defender then saw those videos and thought sod that.

Wish you'd been round to diagnose my P0500 problem 12 months ago - 5 garages and nobody could sort it!

People dont realise the code (if youre lucky enough to get one) is the beginning of the process, not the end!

Back