Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Desktop PC Woes:

BobMurphy

Country Flag
scotland
I'm not that great with PCs and a current problem has me (and two 'knowledgeable' neighbours) stumped.

Some months ago I used the PC (a big, powerful thing running Windows 10 and IE 11.3 or Edge) and all was fine.

Later the same day I fired it back up and it was dog slow (I don't leave it switched on). My 'favourites' list just appeared slowly - clunk . . clunk . . clunk. . . down the list. Sites I selected were very slow to appear and some didn't work at all. Those that did connect took ages to respond and often just timed-out.

I suspected my 'C-Drive' as it was almost full (a 120 Gb SSD) so bought a 1Tb SSD and fitted that. The space was extended to give almost the full 1 Tb. That didn't fix anything.

Then I discovered that if I logged on as my wife all was fine.

So its something to do with my profile.

My virus checker (Trend Micro Titanium) says all is well and I have found this to be pretty reliable.

I have an internal backup drive installed (mostly for photos) plus three external drives for photos and documents. They seem to be working normally.

Today I still can't use t'internet if I log on as me (I'm the Administrator). I have searched for odd updates, run scans and have run out of ideas.

Anyone got any advice as to what to do next ??

Thanks in advance.

Bob.

Is the whole PC slow, or just your browser? Are Edge and IE equally poor?

Personally, I'd just backup all the files that I want to keep and reinstall from scratch as it sounds to me something with your profile is messed up.

No need to reinstall,
you create a new admin account and delete the profile of the old one. It works most of the time, most likely there are some corrupted files in there.
You can even recreate it after if you mind new user name .
Just copy the stuff saved in your desktop/documents and you favorites folder.
Very important to delete this profile the proper way, from the PC properties.
user delete.PNG

The problem is that it could have added something to the system services or registry if it's a virus or other crap. I personally don't use windows any more but the quick way would be to create another user and copy stuff across but when dealing with windows nuke and reinstall is normally the way.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks folks,

I'll bite the bullet and nuke it then re-create an Admin Profile.

You may not hear from me again :doh:.

Bbo.

Once upon a time when windows was good it had a very useful feature called system restore which simply rewound your computer to an earlier date undoing any changes .

I mention this only as the feature might still be in there somewhere buried a mile deep under useless junk nobody wants or needs .

Back