Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diagnosing ABS fault

Rob Cowell

Country Flag
wales
My ABS has started kicking in too soon. Slightest braking on dry tarmac and it can kick in, albeit badly. Feels grindy and I can hear a pump (sounds almost like windscreen washer pump). I took the ABS solenoid fuse out and all fine; except of course I'd rather like the ABS to work.

ABS light doesn't come on until I take the fuse out.

Any ideas about how to diagnose? Hoping it's a sensor and not the pump!

My ABS has started kicking in too soon. Slightest braking on dry tarmac and it can kick in, albeit badly. Feels grindy and I can hear a pump (sounds almost like windscreen washer pump). I took the ABS solenoid fuse out and all fine; except of course I'd rather like the ABS to work.

ABS light doesn't come on until I take the fuse out.

Any ideas about how to diagnose? Hoping it's a sensor and not the pump!
Have a good look underneath see if you might of clouted something (yours is a work truck is it Rob) ..Do you not have a code reader... Broken wire/simple clout can put ABS out of action..

Have a good look underneath see if you might of clouted something (yours is a work truck is it Rob) ..Do you not have a code reader... Broken wire/simple clout can put ABS out of action..

Thanks Higgy. I've had a quick look on my back but I'll take the wheels off and look harder. Just feels odd I have no ABS light coming on, so not sure if I'll have codes. Just moved job and they took back the old Windows 7 laptop I'd acquired to run Techstream, I'll have to get on ebay now!

Rob

This seems like the same symptoms i had with mine, root cause probably different though!
I replaced a front bearing and it had a faulty ABS ring on it, when i put the new bearing on i got lights and code errors, if i reset these without changing anything the ABS came on as soon as i touched the pedal, only took about 2 mins before the ABS lights came on and codes returned shutting off the ABS altogether.

Just bought myself a Techstream lead but not got the software working yet on W7 x64 :think:

Simon

Reactions: jus
Thanks Simon. Interesting similar symptoms. Odd thing is I get no lights - (until I pull the solenoid fuse!). I got Techstream going on Windows 10 last night and plugged it in and it showed LH and RH sensor circuits faulty, but that could be the circuit or the sensor. Wasn't sure if they were historic, and couldn't work out if TS showed me, so I cleared them, drove round the block and it didn't happen again! At least when it does next time I can read the codes now.

The main Windows 64 bit issue is getting the cable recognised. If you look on the post I added to Lounge last night about TS on W10 there's a link that includes a registry file for MVCI (the cable device) to work on 64 bit. Or you can use device manager to write the correct drivers (usually come with the install CD) - but that's a faff with W10 which tries to stop you adding old drivers.

Shot in the dark Rob but hated the abs on my 90 for doing that so i was pleasantly surprised when a BigRed caliper overhaul and new disks all round (because i wanted to) cured the problem .

Edit - WAS pleasantly surprised doh !

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Interesting. My disks are all pretty new. The calipers, not so much!

Anyway, noticed today one of the rear anti-roll bar brackets has snapped off the axle so now I can worry about something else first!

Could it be a sticky caliper piston is not retracting so when brakes are applied one wheel wants to lock .

Back