Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Died!!!

Skyeman

Country Flag
scotland
coming home and the last 1/4 mile the satnav display died, then lost power coming up our hill, came to a stop outside the house and battery warning light came on. Switched off and now won’t even turn over. Dash lights seem ok, faint click on pushing the start button, and interior lights dim but not even a suggestion of turning over. Satnav screen still dead.

Can starter be jammed? but that wouldn’t explain sudden loss of power and battery warning light....

I disconnected both batteries in the vain hope of rebooting but to no avail.

Has anyone got any ideas as I am mystified.

I would try a jump start, or if you can charge the battery, I would suspect a charge fault from what you say.

Do you have somewhere on Skye who can test the battery?

Do you have somewhere on Skye who can test the battery?
Hi. Clive, yes my local garage is good and run by a mate of mine so will get down there in the morning. Meanwhile I tried to start just now (been switched off for about 45min) and it turned over very lazily but didn’t start. I’ve now disconnected both batts and got one on charge. Will see what happens in an hour or so.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ok, but having 2 batteries, one can die and that then "kill" the other battery that otherwise may be good.

Have him load-check both, individually.

Ok, but having 2 batteries, one can die and that then "kill" the other battery that otherwise may be good.

Have him load-check both, individually.
Yes, also thought I’d try starting it with just one connected. And if it’s a no go then charge the other and try that one.

Would that explain the sudden loss of power?

Yes, ecu, injectors and fuel pump all starved of amperage when the voltage dropped possibly.
That's one of the reasons I drive a 80 series, it only needs electric power to the start stop solenoid to run.

Yes, ecu, injectors and fuel pump all starved of amperage when the voltage dropped possibly.
That's one of the reasons I drive a 80 series, it only needs electric power to the start stop solenoid to run.
Aha! That would shed light on the matter!

Yes it would.
One of the many warning signs I watch for, dim head lights is another.
I would also suggest that you get your alternators output voltage checked, it is possibly only just putting out enough not to trip the charge warning lamp.

I had that problem with a E class that I used to own, it would charge the battery with the headlamps and wipers on unless you turned the heater and rear window demist on then the discharge was more than the alternator could cope with but you had no warning as it did not turn on the charge/battery lamp so you would run until it died and then you had a flat battery and you did not know why.
Replaced the alternator after testing it and never had the problem again.

Last edited:
Yes it would.
One of the many warning signs I watch for, dim head lights is another.
I would also suggest that you get your alternators output voltage checked, it is possibly only just putting out enough not to trip the charge warning lamp.

I had that problem with a E class that I used to own, it would charge the battery with the headlamps and wipers on unless you turned the heater and rear window demist on then the discharge was more than the alternator could cope with but you had no warning as it did not turn on the charge/battery lamp so you would run until it died and then you had a flat battery and you did not know why.
Replaced the alternator after testing it and never had the problem again.
Yes, so I guess worst case is new alternator and batteries - could be worse as all are original and it’s now 112k

Test the voltage at the batteries when you've charged them, let them stand for a couple of hours and got the truck running. Should be 14.4 volts which may need the engine up off idle a little if it doesn't register on tick over.

Sounds like charge fault to me. If you charged the batteries manually now they might not be that upset by the ordeal. As has been said, charge them and let them sit. If they drop then they're poked.

I disconnected both batteries in the vain hope of rebooting but to no avail.
Made me chuckle. "Rebooted my car to see if that would fix the fault" :D

I thought the number one suspect when electrickery does silly things in a Landcruiser was a bad earth connection ?

Made me chuckle. "Rebooted my car to see if that would fix the fault" :D

Made me chuckle as well, a windows tech solution.

I thought the number one suspect when electrickery does silly things in a Landcruiser was a bad earth connection ?

Good point, but it's a computerized LC so how many earths, battery negative would also be a good place to start.

It all depends if the alternator is controlled internally as with traditional alternators or by the ECU like some modern vehicles do. If a traditional one it sounds like the alternator is not charging correctly for some reason and is the prime suspect. The fact that stuff started getting slow before things finally died indicates the batteries could well be strong and have kept it going while not getting charge from the alternator. A secondary problem maybe damaged batteries due to being over discharged. A meter across the battery terminals with it all up and running will start proving the theory. Then it's a case of why is the alternator not charging, is it the alternator or something controlling it. Mike at Robson and Francis will probably be able to tell you if you give him the details of the alternator and provide you with a new or well reconditioned one if need be. 020 7733 2353

Yep, charged both batts separately 12.62 and 12.86 v

Connected both and it starts, but no output from alternator - 11.9 v at batts at fast idle

So, alternator it is I guess. Can just about see it but how the hell do you get to it?

As suspected. You could try giving the plug on the back of the alternator a wiggle while testing voltage. Sometimes it can get corroded a little and start giving trouble. Brushes can also stick, both especially if it's been under water.

Back