Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Died!!!

9543C9C1-AAF9-4197-8088-EE0AFB06306E.jpeg
Here’s the offending article. What a b of a job getting it out.
Your recommended Mike has sourced a new one (not a great deal dearer than a refurb of this one) so hope to be mobile again in a few days. Many thanks all for your help and suggestions.

Must be something in the air? My 105 alternator is failing to charge at idle, brings up an array of warning lights when the engine falls to idle, but is managing 13.5v at fast idle. Fortunately it managed the 350mile round trip to Lincomb at the weekend, having failed at 21:00 the evening before. As soon as I have time I'll also be pulling the alternator. I suppose 20 years service with some quite extreme temps isn't bad.

Must be something in the air? My 105 alternator is failing to charge at idle, brings up an array of warning lights when the engine falls to idle, but is managing 13.5v at fast idle. Fortunately it managed the 350mile round trip to Lincomb at the weekend, having failed at 21:00 the evening before. As soon as I have time I'll also be pulling the alternator. I suppose 20 years service with some quite extreme temps isn't bad.
A lot better than my 6 years that’s for sure!

Ok Check Fanbelt is tight, then check altinator but you will need a charged up battery to run it and check the current from the altinator most vehicles are about 14volts. Check the batteries to see if they are maintenance free batteries if yes then this is possibly the problem and even with a Jumb start the car might not start so put another start battery in to see if it will start then check voltage from alt if this is good get two new batteries I loathe maintenance free batteries because when they die your stranded unlike the old acid batteries you maintain yourself they will start a few times after they die but when a maintenance free one goes its gone. Also check your battery terminal connections if there is white stuff on the battery post or battery connectons pour boiling water over the white stuff electrolisis to clean it and enable a good contact again. Starter relays can also die and cause a flat battery like situation this would require a replacement starter motor. It could also be a bad ignition switch in this case replace the ignition switch. Think that just about covers it all.

New alternator arrived today, fitted (eventually) and all is back to normal. I had charged the batts whilst they were disconnected and they look ok. Started first touch and now charging at about 14.1v. Well done Mike of Robson & Francis in London for sourcing the new one and shipping it so quickly.

New alternator arrived today, fitted (eventually) and all is back to normal. I had charged the batts whilst they were disconnected and they look ok. Started first touch and now charging at about 14.1v. Well done Mike of Robson & Francis in London for sourcing the new one and shipping it so quickly.

14.1V is good, mine varies from 14.4V down to 14.2V so it should be OK.

Do you have an on-board voltmeter fitted to monitor it over the next few weeks? If not, then keep an eye on it, but it does sound like you've sorted it.:thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Charging voltage should be 14.4 at the battery terminals for a bulk charge. Maybe the new alternator saw two pretty well charged batteries and was backing off the charge rate.

Mike's a good chap. There's not much he doesn't know about alternators and starter motors. Been in the rewind business a Loooong time! Good for the older stuff too. Does a fair bit for vintage cars.

14.1V is good, mine varies from 14.4V down to 14.2V so it should be OK.

Do you have an on-board voltmeter fitted to monitor it over the next few weeks? If not, then keep an eye on it, but it does sound like you've sorted it.:thumbup:
Don’t have an onboard voltmeter but used a digital across the batt terminals. Mind you it was raining, I’d just finished the installation and was in a hurry to clear up and get dry so will check it more carefully in the morning.

Sounds like good news
Where are you on Skye (user map shows you on cliff edge At Trotternish) lovely place, haven't been across this year.
But had a few days in Torridon

Sounds like good news
Where are you on Skye (user map shows you on cliff edge At Trotternish) lovely place, haven't been across this year.
But had a few days in Torridon
Yes pleased it’s fixed. We’re down in Ardvasar, don’t know why it’s put me at the north end, though I d9mhave a cousin up there.

Damn, finger problems! Anyway any time you’re over this way look me up. I’m back and forward to Aberdeen, working offshore but hopefully for not too much longer - planning retirement next year.

Alternator might not be charging if it is and you have a maintenance free battery just toss the battery maintenance free batteries are rubbish and should be chucked first sign of failure or you will end up stuck some where.

Possibly be regulator. yes I know it's fixed but others might have similar issues and these wern't covered I have a 60 series regulator is on the inner guard.

Back