Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diff lock, demister and fan not working

ashemmeld

Country Flag
australia
Hi All - any suggestions please....

I just installed an after market radio which works just fine ... however ...

Once I got everything on the dash back together, the diff lock, internal fan (aircon) and the rear demister switches (all in the same general area on the dash) don't work.

I have checked that all the switch connectors are plugged in solidly ... as far as I can see. Only the demister and the diff lock switches were unplugged, the fan switch (above the (mechanical) heater controller) was not touched.

The battery was disconnected throughout the job so I doubt any fuses have blown. I did check the fuses and they seem OK - just by looking though ... not with a volt meter.

Can anyone make any useful suggestions please?

Hi All - any suggestions please....

I just installed an after market radio which works just fine ... however ...

Once I got everything on the dash back together, the diff lock, internal fan (aircon) and the rear demister switches (all in the same general area on the dash) don't work.

I have checked that all the switch connectors are plugged in solidly ... as far as I can see. Only the demister and the diff lock switches were unplugged, the fan switch (above the (mechanical) heater controller) was not touched.

The battery was disconnected throughout the job so I doubt any fuses have blown. I did check the fuses and they seem OK - just by looking though ... not with a volt meter.

Can anyone make any useful suggestions please?

you must check every fuse, fusible link and connection with a meter or similar until you find the fault, take your time, make a list and record items checked, double check all fuses, it takes time, but eventually it will be found. I had an ignition fault on the motorway, it was the air con pump clutch was faulty, it had shorted out, there was no ignition or dash lights, after disconnecting the power to the pump, couldn't get a result,finally I checked every fuse, although to the eye they looked perfect, it was the fuse marked " gauge" in the fuse box on the drivers side dash board, it showed 12.8 volts on the power side, but 4.5 volts on the other side, bingo! Fault found, replaced with new fuse, all good, so check EVERY FUSE, hope this helps. Best regards, Bill Westley

Thank you Bill Westley,

Thats basically what I have done.

I found that it was indeed the 'Gauge' fuse. Although the fuse is OK, the connection isn't. When I apply pressure to the fuse (pushing it in), everything springs to life, as soon as I let go, it fails. Good to know but it could be devastating if I'm driving with the diff lock on and it disconnects. In the mean time I might strengthen the connection by wrapping some tin foil around the connectors (and obviously not bridging the fuse).

Thank you Bill for your reply and sound advice.

Back