Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

diff lock

Ben

Guru
Country Flag
australia
right.......................i posted the same questions on that other forum, as the 70 series section seemed a bit more active than on this forum, but i havnt had any replies and i cant seem to find the answers/info i need by searching the net, so im hoping some one on here may know. :thumbup:

ive got an LJ70 and wish to fit a rear diff lock. ive found an LJ78 prado import which has a rear diff lock, and i want to know if it will fit in the rear of my LJ70.

the LJ78 is an automatic, where as my LJ70 is manual, so im presuming the diff with the locker will be a different ratio? is it possible to remove the locker from the ring and pinion and fit it into my diff, so i can keep my original ratio?

also id like to then fit my rear LSD into my front diff, so i will have a rear diff lock and a front LSD. is this a straight forward job? i read some where that its possible if i fit new bigger bearings?

Speak to Paul at WCO on this one Ben - he's got loads of knouse on 70's...

Go on, do it... I dares yah!!!

:cool:

thanks Gav, i bet Paul would know. :)

but..............................since spending over £700 on bits for my truck with them, ive called them twice since wanting parts, both times theyve promised they wil get back to me with prices, and then havnt bothered! so i wasnt going to contact them or use them again :thumbdown:

im hoping to get the axles off the truck soon, and then hopefully i will be able to make it fit/work! :thumbup:

Hi Ben, sorry I missed you on t'other place but if it means we get more traffic here... ;)

No, the locking diff won't fit your axle afaik, although the axle will fit your truck

Yes, the diff ratios are the same on all the 2.4TD LJ7* series trucks. 4.88 iirc. I think Roger's posted the exact figures for all 70 series somewhere in the other place.

I think you would be able to fit your rear LSD into the front but don't quote me - some toyota's have different size pumpkins front/rear but I don't think the LJ7* is one of them, pretty sure they're the same.

I'm sure you already know this but thought I'd better mention that if you drive with your front hubs engaged on the road with LSD in the front your turning circle would be vastly decreased and wear on the tyres/steering system in general would vastly increase..

HTH, Jim.

thats great, thanks Jim. :thumbup:

i hadnt even thought of the fact the LSD up front with locked hubs on road will reduce my turning circle. something else for me to consider. thanks mate. :think:

1 more question, what do i need to remove with the rear axle for the locker? :)

ben said:
1 more question, what do i need to remove with the rear axle for the locker? :)
I'd imagine just the obvious stuff, it's not something I've done I just know the housings are different on the diff's to accommodate the actuator for the locker, that's why it won't fit in your axle. It's engaged electrically so just make sure you keep enough wire off the actuator to make your new connections

Jim.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
ben said:
but..............................since spending over £700 on bits for my truck with them, ive called them twice since wanting parts, both times theyve promised they wil get back to me with prices, and then havnt bothered! so i wasnt going to contact them or use them again :thumbdown:
Yeah, it can take a few phone calls to get a response but if you keep hassling,they usually get to it in the end - I know its a crap excuse but he's got lots of plates spinning & some things obviously get forgotten. I can understand you putting a bag on it though ;)

Jimbo4x4 said:
I'd imagine just the obvious stuff, it's not something I've done I just know the housings are different on the diff's to accommodate the actuator for the locker, that's why it won't fit in your axle. It's engaged electrically so just make sure you keep enough wire off the actuator to make your new connections

Jim.

thanks Jim. i will post back here with some pics when i get the axles fitted! :thumbup:

Gav Peter said:
Yeah, it can take a few phone calls to get a response but if you keep hassling,they usually get to it in the end - I know its a crap excuse but he's got lots of plates spinning & some things obviously get forgotten. I can understand you putting a bag on it though ;)

i appreciate what your saying Gav, and Paul at west coast, is a nice chap and very knowledgeable, and the products they sell are very reasonably priced, but................................................i think the customer service is very poor, and for that reason i wont be contacting them ever again! :thumbdown:

another thing that really p****d me off, when i bought the suspension lift kit and snorkel from them. a courier turned up and was missing one of the boxes containing the rest of the springs, i called them up and they said they would chase it up for me and call me back, they never called me back! then about 7 hours later the courier returned with the missing box, which was soaking wet and covered in mud! :roll: :thumbdown:

Hi ben !

I done similar replacement in my KZJ70 in Poland. I also used rear axle from LJ78 automatic.
The reason why I decide for such swap it wasn't locker because I already install ARB one, but ... disc breakers on the rear - compare to original in KZJ70 is much better for mud.

So base on my experience I advise you to change all complete axle - by occasion please check rear bearings those close to the wheels (they are different - much bigger than in LJ70).
Don't worry - all fit perfectly "bolt-in"

Please also take from LJ78 nice switch "Locker" installed close to the steering wheel

I didn't found it finally but you have to find and take also some "ECU" module to connect switch with this module and actuator and control lamp indicating "lock - unlock" position.
The best is to take all cables with connectors - if you have problem with wiring I saw somewhere diagram so I can find it again.

The gears ratio should be the same 4,88 but if not you can also swap front axle.

I will not advice you to install LSD on the front unless you are using car only in mud roads. also take into account that most of LSD are out of order already and to retrofit and setup them need extra $$$$

p.s. please check also condition of actuator - specially aluminium body which is damaged very often -> genuine part from Toyota cost more than ... ARB kit :o

thats good, i didnt realise thy have discs on the rear! :D

my rear drum brakes are rubbish, even with new shoes! :thumbdown:

i take it the master cylinder is still powerful enough to operate the rear discs/callipers, or do you have to change the master cylinder as well?

thanks, i will try to get all the wiring and connectors i need. it would be nice if the diff lock symbol lights up on my speedo/clocks once its all connected and wired up. :D

ok maybe i wont fit my rear LSD in the front, if i dont it means i can sell my old axles complete, which should get me some money back!

fingers crossed the actuator is ok then!

thanks for the info. :thumbup:

ben said:
.....i take it the master cylinder is still powerful enough to operate the rear discs/callipers, or do you have to change the master cylinder as well?

thanks, i will try to get all the wiring and connectors i need. it would be nice if the diff lock symbol lights up on my speedo/clocks once its all connected and wired up. :D

ok maybe i wont fit my rear LSD in the front, if i dont it means i can sell my old axles complete, which should get me some money back!

rear callipers is very small - just one piston and master cylinder is same in both types originally.

check also bushes in axle arm - is good time to replace them durig swap :idea:

BTW: what's about rest 78 body ? I'm looking for replacement for my coroded and damaged KZJ70 so it would be nice to swap my LHD KZJ70 + body RHD LJ78 = KZJ78 :)

p.s. please bring over all spares to our TLC Camp - you will make good business here as there are not so many spares avialable :thumbup:

the body is in very good condition.

do you know if the wings on a 78 will fit my 70?

i hope they will as im getting some of these repair panels soon, to fix my rusty rear arches, and im thinking if i fit the wings off the 78 i wont have any holes front and back, where the fibre glass arches were attached!

http://www.autoblechteile.de/product_in ... cts_id=154

ive got a few 70 series parts and will bring them all with me if i come in june! :thumbup:

I'm not sure will fit ... for sure as I mentioned many part's are identical like axles, gear box engine, front panel etc but some of car body (even tail lights are different)
why somebody decided to dismantle nice 78 ? Engine problem or other big defect ?
Could you please check for me what's the price for whole remaining parts of this truck ?

Where are all these 78's with rear diff lockers hiding! I've not seen one for sale since picking up my 78....

Pete

You got a rear locker on yours Pete? I spent several months looking for mine and was hoping for a KZJ but speed isn't important to me really, so I settled for the LJ after realising just how rare they are. In hindsight, I could've afforded a UK spec 80 at the time and probably should've gone for one of those - but I'm a sucker for retro looks :roll:

Jim.

No, I havent - would like one though.

I'm well pleased with the 78, but rear locker would make it very good as opposed to capable.

Yep - retro 80's look is spot-on.

Pete

hopefully getting the new axles today, and any other bits i want.

im hoping the front wings are the same as the LJ70 ones as i want to replace mine. :thumbup:

Back