Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diff Oils Changed

Ben Stratford

Supporter
Country Flag
england
An easy job turned out to be a nightmare because both fill plugs wouldnt budge. After fannying about for ages i had to weld a bar on to the plugs and use heat to free them. The drain plugs were easy but still needed a jack under the socket.
4 new plugs completed the job and mind at peace once avain.

An easy job turned out to be a nightmare because both fill plugs wouldnt budge. After fannying about for ages i had to weld a bar on to the plugs and use heat to free them. The drain plugs were easy but still needed a jack under the socket.
4 new plugs completed the job and mind at peace once avain.

Yep, I don't know how long you've been the owner, but there's nothing to compare with regular maintenance, even if it's OTT when compared with the manual or recommended data sheets.

I change my diff, gearbox and transfer box oil at least twice a year which is at about 10k km intervals.

I have no idea what intervals the book says, maybe more or less, but I suspect longer than I leave it.

Anyway, items like drain and filler plugs will stay "free" when removed and replaced every 6 months, it's only when they're left for 3 or 4 years, or in some cases the full 21 years of a trucks existence without being removed, that they weld themselves in place and give us all this grief.

Good job done anyway, as you said, peace of mind, it's well worth the skinned knuckles and the cost of the new oil. :thumbup:

Yep, I don't know how long you've been the owner, but there's nothing to compare with regular maintenance, even if it's OTT when compared with the manual or recommended data sheets.

I change my diff, gearbox and transfer box oil at least twice a year which is at about 10k km intervals.

I have no idea what intervals the book says, maybe more or less, but I suspect longer than I leave it.

Anyway, items like drain and filler plugs will stay "free" when removed and replaced every 6 months, it's only when they're left for 3 or 4 years, or in some cases the full 21 years of a trucks existence without being removed, that they weld themselves in place and give us all this grief.

Good job done anyway, as you said, peace of mind, it's well worth the skinned knuckles and the cost of the new oil. :thumbup:
Thanks Clive. Its been with me for about 6 months and 5000 miles now but as you said, i suspect the diffs had been untouched for some time.
Just need to list all the grease nipples on the truck now and give them all a squirt or two

You're no stranger to cruisers though Ben, judging by your previous, a 40, a 60, 2 x 80s and now another 60...

You must have the bug :lol:

You're no stranger to cruisers though Ben, judging by your previous, a 40, a 60, 2 x 80s and now another 60...

You must have the bug :lol:
I do Clive. The 60 is now my daily driver and the other car has. been sold. I do 75 miles a day accross dartmoor and back - lucky me.
Another job to do is check the valve clearences. Will pencil that in for the xmas break

Back