Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

differential ratios on a LJ78/RJ77

dean780

Country Flag
brunei
Hello guys, hoping to get more input from this site, i just finished a project converting a Lj78 (rj77) from a 22r engine to a 1hz, my question is, i want to change the gear ratios to suit the 1hz, possible a ring and pinion gear change to suit the new engine, does anybody have any ideas, i was thinking of 4.11 for the rear and front which i have heard and researched a bit is the preferred option, will be using it for daily drives only with 32' tyres. thanks.

Your RJ77 should have 4:5's if its a manual, slightly higher if its an auto.

Why do you want to go to a higher ratio like 4:1's?

Normally people go to a lower ratio when increasing tyre size, so something like 4:8. :icon-biggrin:

hi ben , thanks for the reply, my original ratios were 4.88, as the previous engine was a 2300cc 22r petrol. i changed the engine to a 1hz, 4200 diesel , as im planning to use the car for highway and normal road driving , and using now a 275/70/16 tyre size max, the current setup is abit loud on the engine revs when i go at 100kmh,

How very strange! :crazy:

The only light duty 70's to leave the factory with 4:8's were the manual transmission LJ's!

Manual tansmission LJ's are 4:8
Manual transmission RJ's are 4:5
Manual transmission KZJ's are 4:3

So someone must have fitted LJ70 diffs to your car, which are the lowest ratio factory standard diffs. :think:

Its also a big problem for you because the only ring and pinions available for the 4:8 diffs are 4:8!

All of the other factory ratios can be changed quite easily but not the 4:8's because they run a different housing because the ring gear is much thinner and the pinion off set.

I had loads of issues trying to re-gear my 4:8's. :thumbdown:

Have you considered running bigger tyres?

When I used to go from 35's to 37's my revs used to drop quite a bit at 100! :icon-biggrin:

hi ben, the diffs were written on my engine plate as G144, ran the decode on the axle hence it says 4.8, i was hoping to avoid bigger tyres on this one as i am already using a reducer spacer for a bolt conversion from 6 to 5, so i would think bigger tyres would add to stress on the spacer to wheel joint. the car was sort of a 1990 lj78 converted to a 30th anniversary LJ76. so i sort of want to keep it as stock as possible. thats scary hearing about the 4.8's though. would you think regearing my diff be the most economical way?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
let me do some more homework and see what i can get out of my setup and what to make out of it, thanks for the info ben, cheers.

How very strange! :crazy:

The only light duty 70's to leave the factory with 4:8's were the manual transmission LJ's!

Manual tansmission LJ's are 4:8
Manual transmission RJ's are 4:5
Manual transmission KZJ's are 4:3

So someone must have fitted LJ70 diffs to your car, which are the lowest ratio factory standard diffs. :think:

Its also a big problem for you because the only ring and pinions available for the 4:8 diffs are 4:8!

All of the other factory ratios can be changed quite easily but not the 4:8's because they run a different housing because the ring gear is much thinner and the pinion off set.

I had loads of issues trying to re-gear my 4:8's. :thumbdown:

Have you considered running bigger tyres?

When I used to go from 35's to 37's my revs used to drop quite a bit at 100! :icon-biggrin:

The kzj70 swb diffs should be 4.56, kzj78 was 4.3

Reactions: Ben
I stand corrected, thanks. :thumbup:

I wonder why they changed ratios for the 4 door on the KZJ and not the LJ. :think:

I stand corrected, thanks. :thumbup:

I wonder why they changed ratios for the 4 door on the KZJ and not the LJ. :think:

Yeah that's always confused me, I would think you'd want the lower ratio to help pull the heavier weight of the lwb, maybe they expect it to be a motor that's driven more miles so better for motorways?

Reactions: Ben
Yeah I think you must be right! :thumbup:

I wonder if the gearbox ratio is the same in the KZJ70 and KZJ78. :think:

Hi there,

Greetings.....
Got a Landcrusier RJ77 with a 1KZ engine.... do I need to change the gear ratio as I am currently using a 33" MT tyres?

Back