Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Difficulty engaging low range

Adrianlle

Country Flag
great_britain
I haven’t really tried engaging low range much since I got the truck. Today however I’ve noticed that pushing the H/L stick from H to L while the auto box is in N is not smooth. There is a crunchiness to the engagement- as if a shaft is still spinning slightly as the cogs try to mesh. It doesn’t feel too bad coming back from L to H. Any suggestions please?

Not unusual really. If there was lots of grinding and so on maybe I'd be concerned, but a slight crunchiness isn't usually a problem. Is the tick over slightly high?

If its not been done for a long time sometimes its best to turn off the engine when autobox is in neutral and shift H into N for a second or so and then shift into L and then start the engine .

I often have to turn off engine in my hilux to shift out of L to avoid the crunching noise, even in N. Had to today In fact towing trailer out of muddy field.

AS ever thanks for all the help. I’ve sorted it now. To begin with the comment about idle speed made me realise I was trying to shift with the engine not fully warmed up. Once at operating temp the shift from H to L would work but graunchilly. So tried TonyCL11s suggestion. After that shifting ok. Still some cog resistance but nothing to write home about. So lack of use I think. The truck is due for a full service at the end of the month so fresh fluids in order. Also tried the centre diff lock and again took a few times for it to start operating as it should with no blinking warning light. So again lack of use. So thanks. Another thread dolloeyayon something else!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back