Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Difflock Magnets

Compact3

How should the magnets be positioned when reglueing back in the difflock actuator, as they are all loose and need reseating.

Many thanks.

John

Look for witness marks on the back of the magnets matching those on the inside of the housing.

Frank

Thanks for your message, unfortunately, there does not appear to be any witness marks visible, even my wife with 20/20 vision cannot see any. So should they be North opposite North and South opposite South or North opposite South and North opposite South. Or should I go to the drinks cabinet.
John

Yes they have to go north up, south up, north up, south up. I don't think it makes a difference where they go inside the casing because the inner pins round. There's not 'start' point in a motor. And likewise there will be 2 norths and 2 souths showing at each end.

Chris

Like this...
HDJ80rearDiffLockActuatorMotorCoverOrientation.png

Nice one there J
I think the spacing is important too they really do need to be N S E and W

C

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks to all who replied, as I understand it a north magnet ends up opposite a north magnet and a south magnet ends up opposite a south magnet. According to my tame auto electrician the picture is not that clear as to which magnet goes where as it suggests that two of the magnets are attracting and two are repelling.
John

Have now refitted the magnets but not a great deal happens when connected to a 9v battery which worked well on the rear locker. How do you tell whether the actuator is in the locked position or the unlocked when it is off the vehicle, easy with the rear one as the bar is either extended or not. It was originally taken off because it would not unlock and I had to unlock the diff using a screw driver. I still have no power going to the actuator connector even using young Mr Websters replacement ECU. Time is approaching to say sod it and run with just the rear locker only. Unless somebody has a better idea.

Thanks for all the suggestions
John

Back