Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Disco

TonyP

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
I know this is not really appropriate on a Landcruiser forum, but I need a honest opinion as I know a few of you guys have owned these in the past.....

A friend of mine is interested in this Disco:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2269210.htm

Apart from the obvious dislike are there any real reasons not to buy this vehicle? Is the issue with the transfer box a big one?

Thanks

That is a lot of equipment included in that price, it surely must be worth a look & further enquires into the transfer box issue.

The transfer box problem is nothing major, very common the shifter seizes up from lack of use. You can get underneath & blast the linkage with penetrant & it should free off. The LT230 Transfer boxes are probably the toughest component of the truck. The main thing to check for with them is if you get a loud "clack" noise when shifting between reverse & drive.

I would be more concerned about rot which has already started according to the description, if it's already showing what he describes as discovery rash, this is where the steelwork is in contact with the aluminium body panels & causing electrolysis. I bet the underside (sills, rear crossmember, inner wings etc) are starting to go. A big problem area is around the rear seatbelt mounts in the rear wheel arches & also where the C pillar attaches.

Also budget for a top end rebuild of the engine, at 120000 miles it will definitely need a new cam & lifters, timing chain & gears etc. By 65000 these are starting to show wear on the Rover V8. Although the 3.9 blocks are probably the best of the bunch.

Without all the kit on it, a V8 Disco of that age is probably worth around £1200.

If he's a good mate I'd try & talk him out of it, because of how these things rot I wouldn't reccommend one to anyone. :cry:

Thanks guys, that was what I was looking for. A honest opinion. I have showed him this post so he can see updates, but obviously can't post....

The rust and engine rebuild does sound like good resons to avoid :shock:

Unfortunately Tony, I had to learn the hard way :roll:

My first Range Rover needed a top end rebuild including composite head gaskets etc at just under 80,000 miles.

Also, wifes old disco rotted into the ground, mechanically it was excellent but it started to fall to bits.

Tell your mate to look at the RPI V8 website, that'll give him a good idea of what to look for if he's set on a V8.

If he really wants a Disco, I would recommend a late as possible 300Tdi Manual (R380) with no rust.

I doubt such a thing exists though :lol:

If he really wants a Land Rover, I'd recommend getting a 110, with the same engine & box as I said before. At least you stand a chance of keeping them going & the 110 is a lot easier to live with than a 90.

As Brett has said, but to ad, look for gunk inside the rocker cover as V8 like lots of oil changes.

Paul

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well you chaps have well and truely scared him off :lol: He is now considering other options....

Why would he be looking at a disco for that sort of money when he should get a nice 90 or 80 for that?

Jon Wildsmith said:
Why would he be looking at a disco for that sort of money when he should get a nice 90 or 80 for that?

Exactly what I said to him. He was searching for LPG converted vehicles and came across that. What he really needs is a largish vehicle to cart his parra moter around....

Back