Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Does 265/70/17 BF/Goodrich A/T K02 fit standard rims on 2009 120. does the extra diameter affect mpg?

David Ketley

Country Flag
great_britain
Looking to put new tyres on but I cannot find 265 65 R17 only 265 70R 17. I would like 265/70/17 BF/Goodrich A/T K02 .
Will the 265/70/17 BF/Goodrich A/T K02 fit the stock wheel? Does it increase the MPG? Any alternative suggestions, I need a reasonable all season tyre but not extreme of roading. I guess I do most of my mileage on road but need something that will get me up steep snowy hills in the winter.

Most who for AT tyres to the 120's go with the 265/70/17 and these fit the alloys fine, with maybe a bit of rubbing at full lock. I have the General Grabber version as they are cheaper and for what I use them for they are plenty.

General consensus is the BF Goodrich are better, but for my money I stuck with the General Grabbers. 1st set lasted me about 60k miles

I have 265/70/17 bfg ko2 on my 2009 120 invincible had them on since oct 2015 , they do give a 13mm lift and are just in the limit of tyre difference of 3% +/- OD with no rubbing or touching body or suspension on full lock , I air them at 40psi because ko2s are a stiff side wall tyre and 29psi is too low and will cost more fuel and much more tyre wear , I have not seen any difference in fuel use in ko2 A/T over standard tyres probably due to airing them at 40psi , when the speedo reads 60mph the car is doing 62mph which makes the speedo tell the true speed , but when I do change them I am going to fit 275/65/17 ko2 to bring the gearing more to normal and have only 7mm lift and + 2%OD , bfg ko2 seem to look narrower than standard tyres so 275/65/17 ko2 should bring back the wide stance of the tyres .

Last edited by a moderator:
Plenty of 265/65's about if you look online.

I'm running the Yokohama G015 all seasons with winter rating, very good tyre but are high priced at the moment due to the season (seem them as low as £95 in summer), those Goodyear Wrangler HP all weathers at £103/105 on Camskill i used to find fitted OE on new Discoveries in my previous work appear to be good value, they were my alternative choice had i not bought the Yokos.
Those Toyo Open country UT @ £90 on Tyreleader look decent value, supposed to be all season (have no idea if they are snowflake stamped) but they look like a pure road tyre to me and i suspect they are more common in the USA where all season has a different meaning to Europe, but i know nothing about them...edit, nope they're a pure summer tyre.

Not suggesting you stay at 265/65, i have stayed at the OE size, but there are plenty about if you decide to, i've bought from both Camskill and Tyreleader multiple times (Camskill chare around £2.50 per tyre delivery, TL is free del), TL once dropped a clanger when one of the tyres that arrived was the wrong size but they sorted that out in double quick time at no cost to me, other than that been buying tyres online for ourselves and the daughters for a good number of years now with no issues.

Last edited:
I have 4 General grabber at3 265/65/17 for sale done approximately 1000 miles £400.
If that's of any interest to you.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thy don't howl as much as general's and better on the fuel side too and not been a problem this past week with all the snow and ice we have had up north.
Also had them on a hilux years ago.

I have 265/70r17 BFG's on my Hilux - originally it had Desert Duellers which must be the worst tyre ever, absolutely zero AT ability!

I run them at 36psi, gives a slightly longer footprint in snow etc.

Only bad thing about the bfg's...........£180 or so each, thats a lot of wedge, but they do a high mileage and are great on and off tarmac roads.

BFG A/T KO 265 x 70 x R17 are a good
I used to run long distances at 40 psi.
Around town at home, reduced to 32 psi
Long distance mpg was always 32

Can't really beat BFG AT for money, considering the massive miles they are capable of.
I think my BFG AT must have done around 80,000 miles when I came to sell her, and still only half worn
Expensive to buy, but in my opinion, worth it in the long run.

Last edited:
Over the last 150k miles I have discovered:
- the grabbers sold in the EU are not the same as the US ones. The US ones are the good ones.
- the bfg have crap traction on the tarmac in the slightly wet situation. Full on wet, it's better but not great.
- the Michelin latitudes are quite nice on the drive, on the road, good grip on dry, bit of grip in wet, somewhat wet. But only if you ride light - forget about stopping in a hurry if you are 500kg+ on load.
- if you have load, most of the time, the Toyo open country h/t for on road are nice. But uncomfy when light.
- if you are not going to bfg country, leave them alone.
- Yokohama a/t (012 and 015) have the best traction in dry/wet and are passable off road in , well, there is a good chance you will be mostly ok.

There is no good default.

Is it me but just checked both Tyreleader and Camskills and both have a very limited range (in 265/75r16 or 275/70r16) compared to a few months ago?

What's going on with tyre prices at the moment.

As Geek of Kent notes, i've nothing but praise for the Yoko G015's on mine, Camskill have them at £102 or thereabouts so £105 incl postage which ios pretty good cos they're usually around the £115 mark.
When the present set are worn out i'd thought about trying the new Falken snowflake stamped AT's (having good results from Falkens on daughters car and our Forester) the last time i looked they were around the same price as the Yokos, just seen them at some £145 each.

Back