Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Door leaks!

Jimmjandals

Country Flag
new_zealand
So I have a 96 RV 80 series, love it! Great nick, powerhouse, comfy & nice looking BUT I have a strange leak around the floor/bottom door sill along the drivers & passenger side?! I thought it was the metallic edging strips at the bottom of the window as the brush/soft edge had worn away, so I replaced them and problem solved; for 2 days. Now the leak is back & making my carpet a tad smelly. Live in SW WA and need to sort it before winter really sets in! Anyone else have this problem or come across it?! Anyone know how to fix it?!!
CHEERS!!

Does your truck have a sunroof? If so consider looking for blocked drain lines... There's been a few threads like this recently so have a mooch about...

Does the door shut properly and sit flush with the rest of the car? If it does and the door seal is ok, could be the door membrane / shower curtain behind the door panel. Failing all of that, the windscreen seals on the 80's need sealed up with sticky mastic sealer after about 20 years.

As mentioned, it's most likely to be either blocked sunroof drains or leaking windscreen seal.

On a hot and sunny dry week :)laughing-rolling: you know, when there's a blue moon and the pigs are flying :laughing-rolling:) and the carpets are dry, it's worth a kettle of water run through the sunroof drain outlets, one at a time, to see if one or more of them are flowing freely and where they drain to.

(It's been close to 30 degrees here today just to really p!ss you off!)

There's two drains at the front and two at the back of the frame opening. On mine, the hose on the outlet of the left front one had become detached, and on the right front the hose appeared to have been cut!

To add insult to injury, one of the rear ones was blocked. My leak manifested itself by a constant wet weather drip onto my left ear, like a Chinese water-torture!

Head-liner out and all fixed, without all the horror stories of sealant squidging and tales of duct-taping up the sunroof altogether.

Of all the possible places it could leak in, I would think the door itself is the least likely, especially as you seem to have the problem both sides. The windscreen is a strong possibility along with the sunroof, as said above.

See how you go. It's a PITA till you fix it. :icon-rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back