Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Door whistling

nick_the_fish

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
So i've had this problem since we brought the truck nearly 10 years ago and have never quite got around to doing anything about it, despite the fact that it is the most annoying thing imaginable.

Basically above 50mph there is a whistling noise as air comes in through a gap in the top of the drivers door. I say whistling but its more akin to white noise - admittedly it means I can't hear the missus or the kids, but still i'd like to sort it before the next big trip.

The door has dropped, which is apparent when its open but when its shut and sat on the catch I would have thought it is back into the correct position. However the seal doesn't look visibly deformed.

Anything else it could be?

Any ideas where I can buy a new door seal?

Thanks guys and girls

Nick

When it makes the noise pull the door to, does that make a difference to the sound? Go round where the seal sits with the back of your hand (lick the back of your hand!) Can you feel a draft?

My seals need replacing and i can feel a draft. Funnily enough my door has dropped a little too, but as you say rides up on the catch.

Try sealing round the door aperture with masking tape then go for a drive, if it's all gone quiet then order a seal from Toyota , if not then try the same trick on the window to door area and test drive again , another source of whistle can be the wing mirror or if someone has had the door card off to look at window linkage or motors or fit speakers they will often have ripped the plastic that sits under the door card and seals the door void , this can whistle like Roger Whitaker .

Try sealing round the door aperture with masking tape then go for a drive, if it's all gone quiet then order a seal from Toyota , if not then try the same trick on the window to door area and test drive again , another source of whistle can be the wing mirror or if someone has had the door card off to look at window linkage or motors or fit speakers they will often have ripped the plastic that sits under the door card and seals the door void , this can whistle like Roger Whitaker .

The black Collie has the same prob, a wind noise next the right ear, very annoying. The window channel/runner had dropped a little in the top back corner. Toyota dealer priced the part at £135+vat!! "do you want one" he politely asked. For now a tiny insertion of black RTV silicon sealer has done the trick.

Try sealing round the door aperture with masking tape then go for a drive,

Brillant idea @Grimbo i'll give that a try.

I've tried pulling the door while moving but no movement, and I can definitely feel a draft coming in. I did wonder if the door was flexing slightly at speed but think thats improbable.

Will seal with tape and take her for a spin, and let you know.

Thanks guys.

N

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
To be honest @karl webster I dont know how and didn't know you could! I'll certainly look into it

Normally, the hinge to pillar or the hinge to door mounting holes are ovalised allowing front/back and in/out adjustment.

Easier to get right with 2 people, but not impossible alone.

Otherwise, I’ve had doors that have been bent where the window frame meets the carcass of the door.

Simply place a block of wood on the sill-top to stop the door closing, and with the glass in its wide open (all the way down) position, gently but firmly, push the top of the window frame towards the car, with both palms, front and rear of the frame.

You only need 1mm so ease it 5 mm to let it spring back 4mm.

You may need more than that, but do it step by step and try it after each. I had one that needed to be bent 5 mm but even that was no problem after.

...what have you done grimbo..

Bet the whistling has stopped though..

It is fairly easy to adjust the doors to compensate for the wear in the hinge pins. Both the door side and the body side of the hinges can be adjusted, but normally it would be the top hinge on the body side which needs to be moved forward a mm. You can get to the little bolts without removing anything, just that it's veeryy tight. I used three different spanners which each one managed to turn about 1/12 of a turn, or less, so it takes a bit of time to fiddle with. Do not undo the bolts until loose, just enough so that you can hit the hinge with something to move it a mm, while taking the weight off the door.
Also the catch for the lock can be moved the same way, if the lock is too tight or too loose.
Otherwise, as Clive says, it might be that the door is bent out at the top. Normally because somebody needed to get into the car without a key...

btw, lubing hinges and locks has to be put on the list, every 10 k maybe, one drop.

adjust door.jpg

Last edited:
....halp... halppppp.....

....nah, I wasn't trapped per se. Its just that life was easier there so I decided to stay put for a few days....

Thanks @uHu thats a useful diagram.

So finally got this sorted. I needed to get new door brackets sent via Amayama and also to adjust the door lock striker. I can now drive without the whistling, although unfortunately it means I have to listen to the wife and kids.

In the end I took the wing off to replace and adjust the hinges. For the life of me I can't see how you'd do it otherwise. @uHu I can only assume you have magic spanners. Taking the wing off is a pretty easy job.... unless everything is caked in crud in which case it becomes an impossible task requiring a large hammer and some anglo-saxon

I'm pretty sure the hinges were gone because the previous owner used to push down on the door when getting in. Either that, or they used to open the door then swing on it for fun. who knows.

either way another tick on the jobs list. Thanks for all the input guys.

Back