Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Double Din Radio/Sat Nav Touch Screen

TonyP

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Right, so I'm now officially bored of the standard unit installed in my 120 LC4 and I am toying with replacing it, but I have no idea what's good and what will fit.

Doing a quick Google returns a list of units that range anywhere from £200 to £1k.... Ideally what I want is as follows:
  1. Connects to the current loom in the Land Cruiser, I don't want to be dicing and splicing my wiring, so when I come to sell I can put back the original kit.
  2. Double din colour screen
  3. DAB/FM/AM radio
  4. Bluetooth so that I can remove the Parrot unit for hands free calls
  5. Full Sat Nav with traffic alerting/speed camera database etc. Cheap/free updates would be cool
  6. Touch screen
  7. Reversing Camera
  8. USB ports
  9. Built in HDD
  10. Can connect to CD changer
  11. Play back of films

So what do folk have out there? What would you recommend? I am not interested in the cheap Chinese ones on eBay or ones that require custom software. Just want something that I install and it works out of the box.

Thanks

I can highly recommend the Pioneer range of double din ice/ sat navs. I have 2 pioneer double din ice systems fitted to my cars and they are excellent. The functions are very user friendly and the Parrot blue tooth hands free kit works faultlessly. I have used a full satnav system but I couldn't justify the extra outlay as I already have a satnav. The one I used was in a car I borrowed for a few weeks while mine was in the workshop and its like the ones I have but with added bonus of navigation plus a few little extras like USB ports in the back to hide ipod and camera leads.

The easiest way to do the harness is to get a Toyota - ISO harness and an ISO - whatever manufacturer you go with.

We've used them with Sony stuff into a Volvo and Land Cruiser and they were so simple; cost about £10 or so but it's worth it compared to the time spent splicing and messing stuff up.

1. Use a wiring loom ISO adaptor. Non invasive, unplug it when you're done.
5. You normally have to add speed camera POIs yourself.
9. Onboard HDD for what? Most units will be HDD for Navigation, but none that I know of have the ability to store music now.

Otherwise any decent DoubleDIN nav unit should do. Pretty much all of this years Kenwoods have onboard DAB, Pioneer do one (AVIC-F950 DAB). Don't think Alpine have anything suitable.

I have a Kenwood unit in the 100. Wiring it all up is a serious ballache though, especially the rearview camera.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, the hdd would be to store music and films, but not a massive criteria. Will look at both the pioneer and kenwood products, in fact just been looking at the AVIC-F950DAB, but too scared to check how much it is

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Right, so I'm now officially bored of the standard unit installed in my 120 LC4 and I am toying with replacing it, but I have no idea what's good and what will fit.

Doing a quick Google returns a list of units that range anywhere from £200 to £1k.... Ideally what I want is as follows:
  1. Connects to the current loom in the Land Cruiser, I don't want to be dicing and splicing my wiring, so when I come to sell I can put back the original kit.
  2. Double din colour screen
  3. DAB/FM/AM radio
  4. Bluetooth so that I can remove the Parrot unit for hands free calls
  5. Full Sat Nav with traffic alerting/speed camera database etc. Cheap/free updates would be cool
  6. Touch screen
  7. Reversing Camera
  8. USB ports
  9. Built in HDD
  10. Can connect to CD changer
  11. Play back of films

So what do folk have out there? What would you recommend? I am not interested in the cheap Chinese ones on eBay or ones that require custom software. Just want something that I install and it works out of the box.

Thanks
I bought a few cheap Chinese ones.
£36.00 each.
Gave one to my mum, gave one to my bro,
Kept one for me.
Not every ones cup of tea, but for £36.00 I can throw it away.
Has mostly 2011 Tele Atlas maps.
Has provision for adding your own groups of POI, ie, speed cameras etc.
Connects wirelessly to the car radio, so I simply load the device with all the mp3's and they play out over the car's system,
Watch movies etc,
No reverse camera provision,

(2).jpg
(3).jpg
I just put a piece of velcro on the bottom, and sit it in place.
By keeping it to the right, I can still use the radio controls.

Gra.

Last edited:
Cheers Gra, but would want a more integrated look than that, although at £36 you can't argue with your unit

You might be able to save a little by looking at a Kenwood, they have more units that fit your requirements.

Ok so after doing a bit of research there are two units which I like:
Pioneer AVIC-F950DAB
Pioneer AVIC-F50BT

The F950DAB, has the DAB radio, but smaller screen and also slightly poorer SAT Nav
The F50BT has the larger screen which is motorised for tilting it to avoid sun glare, newer 3D SAT NAv, but does not do DAB. Also £100 more

Apart from that they are pretty identical in what they can play and expandability (dual zones, camera bla bla bla)

So the question is, for the folk out there who use DAB, would you choose that over the other features? Having not had DAB, am I missing out?

Tony,

While having the DAB onboard is nice, there are plenty of other options that can provide you with DAB, either with an additional external control, or displayed through the double DIN unit with a remote control. I've got an Alpine Ezi-DAB in the 100, because I already had a perfectly good year old Kenwood doubleDIN.

As for whether you're missing out, that depends on what you want to listen to. Things like Planet Rock and 6Music aren't available on FM, so I enjoy having DAB to be able to enjoy them away from home.

Thanks guys, the hdd would be to store music and films, but not a massive criteria. Will look at both the pioneer and kenwood products, in fact just been looking at the AVIC-F950DAB, but too scared to check how much it is

My lad has the AVIC F930BT and it's great.
He's just bought another car with a cheaper one in & has done nothing but moan about it - sat nav very slow, not much control at low volume etc.
You don't really need a hard drive - they all take SD card.

There is a BIG difference in sound quality between the Pioneer & cheaper ones!

Bringing up an oldish thread: Whats's the latest on this front?
Time to change the original radio - I have the LC100 without navi, so it's pretty straight forward. Already got the fascia for a standard 2-din.
DAB+ is a must, as my current country is closing the FM band in just over 1 year from now. I'm used to garmin dezl navigation, so an integrated unit will have to be at least as good, with lifetime updates.
I guess keeping the original amplifier under the seat will be better than the 4x50 w (peak) in the 2-din units?
I always thought I would go for a unit with a physical volume button, but with navigation - maybe it's better to go for a bigger screen? Those with proper buttons are limited to just over 6 inches.
There are also the "custom made" units for the 100, from China, which offer both a big screen and comfy large buttons (outside the 2-din), like on the original radio, but I haven't seen them with DAB, and I don't know anything about the navigation, radio and sound quality on those. Lots of them on flea.

What I see is that Alpine seems to have a lot to offer, even an 8" unit, and positive feedback from the hi-fi guys, but how is the iGO navigation? (Maybe keep the Garmin and have two systems?)
Otherwise Kenwwod should be a safe bet, and I've heard that even Pioneer has come in from the cold over the last year, having delivered a lot of hyped crap for the previous 30 years.
There is also Clarion, maybe?

What say you? Any insight?

Well I regretted spending £1k on the Kenwood DNN9230DAB almost from the start. I have had endless issues with it, from it freezing, rebooting, loosing USB devices, SatNav very poor, just a endless list of issues. Kenwood support were not much better, all they could offer was upgrade firmware to net version, which I did as soon as these were available.

It died about 4 months ago, just does not boot bast the first start screen, and it seems I need to send it off for repair at my cost. It barely 2 years old. Consequently it has been removed and the original unit is in.

My advice is whatever you buy, make sure you have some sort of right to return.

That's disappointing if they've let the quality drop. I've had 2 of their earlier units (one of which is for sale here) and both have been faultless.

.To be honest I strongly believe its due to the android os and the lack of memory and cpu power. I do want to get something else as reversing camera and hands free were really useful

That might go some way to explaining it then, my ones were/are running WinCE.

Some of the Pioneer units are compatible with a remote control you strap to the steering wheel that works quite well for e.g. volume and phone control without having to find the right button on the stereo. We have an oldish Pioneer DEH8100BT in our 100 with the steering wheel remote and it's very handy. Some of the new 7" models list compatibility with the "[FONT=droid_sansregular]CD-SR110 Bluetooth Steering Wheel Remote[/FONT]" but not all.

Back