Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Double Din Radio/Sat Nav Touch Screen

Some of the Pioneer units are compatible with a remote control you strap to the steering wheel that works quite well for e.g. volume and phone control without having to find the right button on the stereo. We have an oldish Pioneer DEH8100BT in our 100 with the steering wheel remote and it's very handy. Some of the new 7" models list compatibility with the "[FONT=droid_sansregular]CD-SR110 Bluetooth Steering Wheel Remote[/FONT]" but not all.
I've heard that most new units are compatible with the original steering wheel controls, so that should be OK.

Nobody running Alpine units here? Or something else with iGO or iGO Primo navigation?

The latest Alpine units have a capacitive touch screen (of 7 or 8 inches). They do not have any dvd/cd-drive though, and are only 1-din size behind the big front.
Question is, is a capacitive touch screen so much better that it's worth loosing a disk drive? Or will I never miss it anyhow, after spending 2 weeks work transferring old stuff to SD-card?

I ditched cd drives when I bought my 95 in 2011, can't say I miss it. Ripped all my cd's and stuck them on an sd card

I think I did a thread somewhere about a double-din install into my 80. It was a good bit of kit although the DAB aerial was rubbish. Alpine I think, can't remember.

I've heard that most new units are compatible with the original steering wheel controls, so that should be OK.

Nobody running Alpine units here? Or something else with iGO or iGO Primo navigation?

My chinese unit came with igo primo, ive not used it a great deal but first impressions are very good. On doing some research its very respected software that is fitted to oem in car satnavs. The sd card that comes with chinese units is pirated so you wont be able to officially update off there website. A whole new sd card can be bought off ebay though for about £20 with the latest software.
Ive seen a german company on ebay who make double din units that come with official software, should be good quality too.

I know I am resurrecting this thread , but I am interested into the subject. Car is a J120 from end 2004. It has the factory unit, which includes the 2din touch screen with navi and a separate FM Radio/cassette player, as well as 6-disc CD changer in the glove box (I think this is from pioneer, but it is the Toyota one-came from factory with the car).
Both radio -cassette and cd changer are controlled by the touch screen.
The problem start at the point that the factory touch screen controls some important car settings, such as the Air Conditioning.
I am a complete ignorant in what possibilities the new generation screens have, can I fit an after market unit and NOT loose these controls? Can after market units be programmed for this, or are there any ready made for our cars?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
@Doodle are you happy with your Kenwood? Would you recommend it?
Sorry for being off topic.

I'm in the process of upgrading my stock stereo and looking for a good one.

From my research Kenwood is a good option. But can't make up my mind. All the reviews I've read so far are hype garbage. Actually I've tracked down a site that tells it how it is. I was eyeing the DDX9704S navi thanks to the review.

Can you tell me how bad the is the screen glare? What about the price is there enough value to justify it?

I'm open for suggestions

Back