Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Double din thingymajig ?

Shayne

Guru
I like the clean look of this for my 80 but for all i know about this kind of thing it might be a calculator or a flux capacitator rubbish disposal unit .

I want GPS navigation , a reverse cam , and to play music from an SD card - while navigating .

Bearing in mind i don't have internet or bluetooth or even a camera on my phone that i know how to use would somebody with a clue be kind enough to give me an opinion on this

https://www.autopumpkin.co.uk/pumpk...vr-3g-wifi-odb2-7-color-button-indicator.html

I’ve no idea on that one Shayne but have a look down at your local Halfords, there seemed some decent ones like JVC there with bigger screens for not much different money. Worth a look if nothing else.

I asked at halfords once Rich the kids confused expression because i didn't want bells whistles and shiny glitter on it was enough to make me say never mind and walk away before he started crying .

You have to buy the correct sized double din unit to fit in the dash space... I've read this earlier here and it's something I've been planning to do too.. Interested in seeing the unit you buy Shayne :thumbup:

I thought Din was standard? The guys who fitted mine had a problem squeezing all the cables behind it into the dash, apparently theres not much room behind.

Every time i search specifically for an 80 series double din i get 7" Iwan ?

Thats the least of my worries about buying , remove the words phone and radio from descriptions (two things i have no interest in) the rest reads like Chinese gobbledegook

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_7736

If you just want one with sat nag and an sd card then it doesnt matter what else it does? Wouldnt you want it to play your favourite cd though?

Ps. you often have to buy the reverse camera seperately.

Yeah like laptops can do a million things i will never need , that's fine but ask an auto electronics shop really difficult questions like - do i have european navigation as is or do i need an iphone , dongle or simcard as well - Can i play music from an SD card while using satnav ?

"errrm can i phone you back"

Emails to the same shops get no response .

well the one you posted says its compatible with top navigation software, implying its not already on it. I dont really know about these new ones, as you say, do they need a phone to make stuff happen? When i was buying mine i did ask if it was better to get one pre loaded or one with all this apple touch stuff on as it would only take one update on the phone to feck it up. Youve experienced my sat nav, its a bit crap but will eventually get you there. But to have google maps would be awesome (phone most likely needed)

Thats what i fear , be like buying a 55" TV while living on the streets , if the unit dont work without a phone to "mirror" with it doesn't work full stop .

Thats what i fear , be like buying a 55" TV while living on the streets , if the unit dont work without a phone to "mirror" with it doesn't work full stop .
other than the lovely halfords isnt there anywhere near you to ask? they might even have a customers old one, grammar phone included?

I just had to google"DIN". It means an aperture of 8 inches by 2 inches standardised by the Germans in the 80's. More confused now. Why did they use inches or did they decide on 2.254 cm x 20.32 cm ?

I just had to google"DIN". It means an aperture of 8 inches by 2 inches standardised by the Germans in the 80's. More confused now. Why did they use inches or did they decide on 2.254 cm x 20.32 cm ?
Probably like the rail width Frank, based on legacy stuff that’s too much trouble to change.
The car radio was first produced in America so that’s probably where it originates and Germany (and probably the EU) grabbed it and made it the standard (sensible stuff for once).

Shayne, if you’re trying to find something that doesn’t have all the bells and whistles on it, you may as well give up now. Halfords, at least round here, do seem to have changed to employing helpful, probably tech and spanner savvy staff. Given that, you can read a spec sheet just like they can.

All you have to do is not use the bits you don’t want. It would actually cost far far more to produce a small number of units that have big buttons and minimal features that would sell to a limited market.

My point about visiting Halfords was not to ask someone, but to go there and actually play with the functions and see what one is like in the flesh. You do need to give the Luddite in you a good kicking and tell it to be quiet in the corner while you are doing it though.

Here's mine mentioned in the link by Jacob. I had to splice about 3000 wires to make a loom, I think that's changed now. Slight trimming of the dash but easy with a Stanley knife.
IMG_20190706_115001.jpg

DIN head unit standard size is 180mm x 50mm, double is 180 x 100mm. Get an ISO wiring adapter and its just a case of unplugging the old unit plugging in the adaptor and attaching it to the new head unit

What riles me to a point that i can't think Rich is today's buy it and see philosophy , i don't give a flying **** if it contains enough technology to give a spotty faced teen millionaire in silicone valley a hardon , i just want to know if it will do what i want it to do .

And after all ive read about these things on here and on google the only relevent info comes from Karlosfandango on the thread Jacob linked above :thumbup:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32830638809.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7mKSiC

Now to measure up and see if i can make it fit :pray:

My concern with that one Shane originally posted is that it's Android 4.4 - so an OS that is about 6 years old, and may have problems with some of the apps that you might need to have decent maps from. Oh, and is out of stock...

I use a Garmin GPS as my first choice for navigation, but I'll use my phone as well for more upto date maps - the ones that are preloaded are notoriously hard to update unless they'll take a grey market mapset.

Just re-reading your orignal spec - I'm not sure if you'll be able to play music AND have maps with a single SD card unless you have the maps on there as well.

My concern with that one Shane originally posted is that it's Android 4.4 - so an OS that is about 6 years old, and may have problems with some of the apps that you might need to have decent maps from. Oh, and is out of stock...

I use a Garmin GPS as my first choice for navigation, but I'll use my phone as well for more upto date maps - the ones that are preloaded are notoriously hard to update unless they'll take a grey market mapset.

Just re-reading your orignal spec - I'm not sure if you'll be able to play music AND have maps with a single SD card unless you have the maps on there as well.
There's two SD card slots on mine. One for maps, the other for music etc.

Back