Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Double rear wheel carier 75 troopy.

isle of man

Anyone have a recommendation for this?

Have today received a quote for £2866.98 plus delivery and VAT from a UK supplier - this seems rather expensive to say the least!!!!!!

Are they rowing it over to you?

Thats a serious chunk of wedge. i would imagine thats down to its rarity, am guessing they in turn are importing it to order.

How about checking an Aus site and see if you can buy it from source cheaper, or if you can get the design what about having one fabricated?

Pete

hummm, and here i read 75 troopy carier with dual rear wheels ... :doh:
darn, that would have been kinda cool to see. :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Surely thats vertical thinking, lateral thinking would be to strap them to the sides.....

isle of man said:
Anyone have a recommendation for this?

Have today received a quote for £2866.98 plus delivery and VAT from a UK supplier - this seems rather expensive to say the least!!!!!!

Is it the type that carries 2 wheels on one side or one wheel on each side.

dsc0793resize(4).jpg

One wheel each side was my original idea.

I have been in contact with Sébastien PONCET from FREEWAYS still waiting for him to confirm he has stock.

Keep the options coming....

No room underneath like an 80 with a windy-uppy thing? I don't know if you have extra tank under there.
You could find a thinner tyre with same rolling diameter so that you have one full sized off road spare and one sort of space saver get you going spare.

Just giving you options. I guess some of this depends where you are going and what size you have on. If you were going round the UK with 265.70.16s or something you might get away without a spare at all. But across the sahara with something weird and wonderful then you might need three spares!
Just trying to understand the need for two spares on the vehicle. Given that you can carry repair outfits, tyre goo, compressors etc.

Could you get a single carrier and then have it modified to take second spare? Hole, spigot, arm, bzzzz with welder? Could you just carry the tyre and no wheel. Changing a tyre with levers is not hard.

Chris

I have a 180liter long range tank fitted - so that rules out the under floor windy-uppy-thing.

RTT fitted with associated solar panes and accessory's - no room left for spare wheel.

Tyre size currently fitted are 225x85x16

Only option left is the double rear bumper - will go custom if I have too just wanted something at sensible price as running out of time.

225? Wow, even thinner than mine 255 STs. You could get two strapped together at that. That would be very easy to make an adaptor. A bit like the High Lift jack thing that I bought the other week.

Chris

Chris said:
Just trying to understand the need for two spares on the vehicle. Given that you can carry repair outfits, tyre goo, compressors etc.

I always take 2 when I venture into remote areas and I needed both of them on the way Ayers Rock a few years back.
Both tyres got mangled beyond repair before I could bring the landcruiser to a halt.
Sometimes you can 2 tyres punctured as the front and rear tyre pass over the same rock or stake

Changing a tyre with levers is not hard.

Chris

Glad you think so,I hate it. :thumbdown: :mrgreen: At least if you have 2 spares you can keep going and repair the tyres at camp later on when its cooler and the family is safe and relaxed. :thumbup:
Nothing worse than trying to repair something when everyone is standing around complaining about the flies and the heat :think:

isle of man said:
I
Only option left is the double rear bumper - will go custom if I have too just wanted something at sensible price as running out of time.

I think they go for around $2500 in oz which is about 1600 pounds.

That swing out type with 2 wheels on one carrier is what most of the govt vehicles and mining run in the outback but I dont know the cost.
Its manufactured by a local 4wd shop here as well as other designs.
Maybe they would send one over,of course this depends on how much time you have and their freight price.
I bought something off them once before,nice people to deal with.(no affilitation)

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j ... noxL6rKKcg

Nice utube clip on wheel carriers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rp8aMkV ... r_embedded

Certainly not saying don't take spares, I was merely trying to provide options based on what I had gleaned from the postings. I had my 37's fitted the other day. Wouldn't fit on the machine so they did them with levers. But - they had some good levers. I made a note of the shape of them. That was a crucial factor. I think you'd struggle with basic flat bars.

Depends on the puncture too. Simple spike or catastrophic failure. Fix or fling. And isn't it odd that punctures come along like No 23 buses?

Chris

Chris said:
Certainly not saying don't take spares, I was merely trying to provide options based on what I had gleaned from the postings. I had my 37's fitted the other day. Wouldn't fit on the machine so they did them with levers. But - they had some good levers. I made a note of the shape of them. That was a crucial factor. I think you'd struggle with basic flat bars.

Chris

Even with the right tools those guys in the tyre shops make it look too easy :mrgreen:

If you need a twin wheel set-up on the back, then I suggest you check out the local steel fabricators and take your computer along and show them the videos on this string. To any competent engineer, this sort of fabrication is bread and butter. Take the motor along so that they can see exactly what is required and where it is to be fitted.

Roger

Back