Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Drawer slides

cmcmill01

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Folks,
Looking to start the new drawer system based very much on the Goose Gear stuff and was wondering if you can just turn a drawer slide 90 degrees so using it on the horizontal instead of the vertical? Or is there special horizontal slides?
Any info much appreciate.
Cheers
Craig

I think there’s both or you just de-rate standard ones. I made my own out of MuPro channel but it’s not accurately enough made to slide perfectly really. It’s about 95% good.

I think the info I saw was on the Accuride website. https://www.accuride-europe.com/

Metrol springs was the supplier in the UK I believe.

I think there’s both or you just de-rate standard ones. I made my own out of MuPro channel but it’s not accurately enough made to slide perfectly really. It’s about 95% good.

I think the info I saw was on the Accuride website. https://www.accuride-europe.com/

Metrol springs was the supplier in the UK I believe.
Think that is my plan to just turn a pair through 90 degrees, got my first set of lockout slides from GSF Promounts.
Just want to make sure, cant see any on the Accuride which are mounted horizontally.

…cant see any on the Accuride which are mounted horizontally.
Hmmmm, it was a while back and could well have been on another site that also sold them. If I find it I’ll put a link up.

I just bought some locking container slides from GSF slides. I asked the same question. Apparently they arent designed to work flat/horizontal and will bow over time as well as the bearings not working as they should. They recommended the conbas slides with base mount brackets which although sit a bit higher than I wanted, do extend a full 100% (in my case just over a metre)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hmmm
Now I’ve looked at those theyvarent really base mounted horizontal.

But that was the site I was thinking of and these are the ‘Bottom mount’ ( :shock: ) slides I was thinking of.

The problem with those is you either loose abou 50mm or so in height or 30mm or so in width. Being an awkward cuss I wanted neither. My home made version looses around 22mm off the height alone.

Yes I agree. Although as the 80 floor is far from level you can take off about 25mm of that

Speak to GSF, they said they can do horizontal slides to order. I was just impatient lol

Hey Craig.

In my experience as a cabinetmaker, I wouldn’t suggest turning slides horizontally. We do it sometimes with tall pantry units to give stability to the horizontal axis of a pullout, but it’s always used in conjunction with weight bearing on vertically placed slides (at least when you are talking about full extension ball bearing slides, like an accuride or similar. You can get heavy duty under mount slides, but they take up about an inch of height, and they way they attach may not suit your particular application or may be a bit more difficult to fabricate a drawer/tray that will work. Here in Canada the big hardware distributor is Richelieu, they’d have pretty much anything you’d need, but I’m not too sure if they have a presence in the UK. Might be worth checking their website for solutions, even if you don’t have access to the product through them, then order the parts locally.

Folks,
Looking to start the new drawer system based very much on the Goose Gear stuff and was wondering if you can just turn a drawer slide 90 degrees so using it on the horizontal instead of the vertical? Or is there special horizontal slides?
Cheers
Craig

Lets have lots of pictures please :) That's pretty much what I want to do with valuframe.
Don't know if you've already seen it but this article gave me the idea:
https://expeditionportal.com/goose-gear/

These are the reasons I made my own. I also wanted to be able to remove drawers and have them open to 100% which I didn’t quite achieve, (a drawer length cock up).

So to try to copy The Goose Gear stuff it looks like I need some 30x60mm Ali angle to mount the slides on the profile.
First up the plan is 2 very large drawers one with a removable top so it can be used as a fridge slide. This will be the height of the wheel well.
This would stay in the car all the time.

Then when camping I want to fix ontop another drawer left hand side and a box to cover the fridge, to create a flat surface about the same height as the bottom of the windows.
Still haven’t finished with the idea on a drawer under the fridge for a stove/table??

Thanks all for the replies

So to try to copy The Goose Gear stuff it looks like I need some 30x60mm Ali angle to mount the slides on the profile.
First up the plan is 2 very large drawers one with a removable top so it can be used as a fridge slide. This will be the height of the wheel well.
This would stay in the car all the time.

Then when camping I want to fix ontop another drawer left hand side and a box to cover the fridge, to create a flat surface about the same height as the bottom of the windows.
Still haven’t finished with the idea on a drawer under the fridge for a stove/table??

Thanks all for the replies
Think well and look at as many of other peoples builds as you can. Think of where and how you’ll use it, where you will cook and what will go where in all weathers. Then keep it as simple and light as possible. Think of the times you’ll want to open a drawer while you’ve got stuff all over the tailgate.

Folks,
Cheers
Craig
Hi, just to say I was looking at exactly this possibility... not sure if this has been fully answered for you but basically, you can turn them and use them horizontally, BUT... they are not designed for that and from the ones that I looked at the manufacturers recommended derating the loading capacity by 80%!!!! SO really not worth going that route... however, there are slides that are designed to operate horizontally with full loading capability... just that they obviously take up space below your drawers so for me that's not an ideal solution either... but if you ok with that then that's what you could do. If you're interested could scratch around to see if I still have the links and forward them on to you to check out for yourself... Cheers

Oops, just read the entire thread... and seems more than comprehensively answered :blush:

Back