Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

drive shaft play fj75

adam james cook

Country Flag
australia
i recently purchased this vehicle and have just noticed a clunk when releasing the clutch when changing from first-reverse or reverse to first. my first thought was a uni-joint until closer inspection i found that i could rotate the drive shaft with 1 hand backward and forward and the clunk is coming from the transfer case. no noticeable play in the uni-joints, this is a short 16sec video i just recorded of the issue
, any help appreciated cheers

Hello Adam,

Its a bit hard to tell from the video, it would have been better if the camera wasn't being hand-held at the time :lol:

The rotational play looks normal to me.

I wouldn't want to comment on the clunks coming from the Transfer Box, the 90 Series are chain driven and the 80 Series are not. I have no idea what's inside the 70 Series T/B.

If there's any radial play (up-down or side-side) at the diff or T/B then you may have bearing or pre-load issues.

How many miles/km does it have on the clock?

BTW, IMO, to check UJs properly, you need to work one side of the joint against the other with a pair of bars (in other words, not loading either the diff or the T/B)

thanks clive, thats a bit of reassurance that the rotational play is normal, no other play that i have noticed. a lack of oil could be the cause of noise but didn't want to change out the oil until i find out if the play is normal. it has nearly 500000km on the clock which is very normal for the NT, apparently the engine was rebuilt in 07 when the gas conversion was fitted but other than that i have no idea what is original

Does the gearbox and transfer have a pipe running from the gearbox to transfer box via both top up bolts.

The reason I ask is the transfer seal can start leaking oil into the gearbox and the gearbox fills up with the transfer case oil
The pipe is a Australian method of fixing the issue until the transfer seal is replaced. The pipe returns the oil back to the transfer case once the oil level raises above the fill plug on the gearbox.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LANDCRUI...569057?hash=item3f6112e9a1:g:N4wAAOSwpoJXD0i6

Back