Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Drivers side door lock woes.....

Bert

Country Flag
great_britain
Hello folks. I could feel that this was going to happen, but now it has finally come. The door lock barrel has died and will no longer operate.
Yes, I can still get in via the passenger door, and this is ok short term, but obviously I'd like to get back in via the correct entry point.
So, I'm sure this has happened to many bearing in mind the age of our vehicles, but what are my options to rectify this situation?

Cheers in advance.

I had to get a drivers door lock and handle done a few years ago after a break in. New unit from Mr.T with unfortunately a different key. But as its remote central locking I never use the key in the lock anyway. Cost about €350

[QUOTE="Bob,. Cost about €350[/QUOTE]
Thanks Bob
My Lord that's a fair bit. My central locking is only key operated, but if I have to change the broken barrel, then I guess I'd have to replace the passenger side, rear door, and the ignition barrel too.

Is it possible to swap the passenger side lock over?

Well, for anybody out there, I decided to change just the drivers side lock for a new one. The new barrel and 2 keys were about £55 from Mr.T. The process itself of removing the old lock and fitting the new one was not as difficult as I expected, and I congratulate Toyota's design team for building in small access holes to get to the more difficult areas to facilitate removal.
As we all love photographs, here are some from the process:

Step 1, remove door card. It is not necessary to remove the interior door latch to do this. Just angle the door card until it goes through the hole:
upload_2018-2-27_13-10-1.png

Step 2: Peel back the barrier to get access to the inside of the door handle.
upload_2018-2-27_13-8-31.png

Step 3: Undo the two bolts holding the handle assembly. The bolt securing the lock itself is the tricky one, but it is possible to gain access through a cleverly placed hole.
upload_2018-2-27_13-13-23.png

This is the handy access hole showing the other bolt that holds the cylinder in place:
upload_2018-2-27_13-14-15.png

This bolt is easy to get to with a bit of jiggery:
upload_2018-2-27_13-15-16.png

Step 4: Remove the orange clip from the central locking control rod and carefully remove the old barrel.
upload_2018-2-27_13-17-51.png

Step 5: Carefully insert the new barrel, making sure that it sits properly in the handle mechanism. Toyota fixed this handy black post (shown below) to assist in the correct placement of the barrel. Also ensure that the cylinder engages in a lock slot (for want of a better description). this will become apparent if you need to change one!
upload_2018-2-27_13-21-7.png

After this, just go in reverse order to button it all back up again. In all, it took just over an hour to do with tea break. For once a five minute job was pretty much just that.
I now have two keys to get going, one to open the door and central locking, another to start the car. I look at it as an additional safety feature.
If you are interested, the complete set of locks was £225 ish from Mr.T should one want to replace all of them.

Cheers,
Simon & Bert

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I missed your original post which is a shame because i'd have said this isn't at all a usual problem as few actually use keys in doors so i'd have looked at replacing the lot from a breakers yard .

Well done on the repair though .

Back