Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

driving in sand

Nouakchott has obviously changed a bit since i was last there, there wasn't any tarmac then!!

like your man above says, go for a smaller rim size with a tall narrow tyre giving a good sidewall depth which will air down well. fat tyres are a no no in the desert, too much drag from the wider frontal area.

You need a decent compressor though, otherwise you won't air down when you need to. I had 2 truck airs and both failed on a dune in a sandstorm, leaving me to reinflate 8 tyres with a footpump, not fun!. Now I run an ARB onboard compressor with an outlet on the back of the truck and a remote tank. It inflates the tyres as fast as a garage airline.

Also, make sure you have a footpump just in case.

we ran as low as 10psi when we were in really soft stuff and massively overloaded. We were using ex MOD sand tyres bought second hand. YOu need a good sidewall construction to tolerate repeated airing down without damaging the tyre. 6ply minimum, preferably 8. A lot of desert racers, suprisingly, use BFG MT. Not because of the tread pattern, which is all wrong for sand, but because of the immensely strong sidewalls

IMG_4547_zps722edae6.jpg

IMAG0539_zpsf61b819b.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All
I am living in Dubai and driving in the sand a few times a month for the last 2 years.
The sand tyre shown early on is often used on Nissan Patrol as it has really soft sidewall and can go really fat when pressure are lowered - it is no really great on tar. As we don't get much rain here, I don't believe it is very good on wet roads.
Most of my club use cooper discoverer AT3 and I drove with them for the last 12 months. On Jeep Wrangler in really soft and hot sand you can run as low as 8psi, generally 10psi is good enough.
On LC100 and 200, we inflate to 10-12 psi.
The ARB deflator that unscrews the valve is fastest to deflate.
I hope that helps.
Cheers Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the best thing to do is to mount wider tires. there is some video on youtube where you can see the Landcruiser in sand dunes I think he had 35 inch wide tires mounted.

How do you get 35" tyres on a 200? The body work needs cutting to fit these as even a big lift wont do it. Also. you need to off set the tyres as they rub in all sort of places.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have a set of 5 of those Dunlop sand tyres hidden in my garage, brand new unused if anyone would like some

Hi
I live in Queensland Australia and we spend a lot of time holidaying on Faser island or just a quick drive to Rainbow beach. We have no problem driving between 15 and 20 PSI (sorry don't know what that is in bar)

Back