Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Duracell batteries…not what they used to be?

StarCruiser

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
uk
For some years now I've been avoiding Duracell batteries. They were always my choice, but in probably the last 5-6 years they have started to leak, especially when fitted to clocks, remotes and the like. I thought I had rid my world of Duracells but found these recently. Duracells used to be marketed as leakproof batteries, when they were good. Sadly they now do this:-

IMG_2702.JPG

Now, in fairness, the only ones I've had leak are the AAs (or whatever MN number Duracell have). I've had remotes, cameras, all sorts of things leaked into to the point that I advise people to use another brand.

They don't have to be depleted but let's face it, who replaces their remote batteries before they stop working. At the point they are finished, they are generally found to be leaking.

When I first found this I googled it and found loads of people having the same problem. I also enquired in my wholesalers who said the Pro range weren't affected, my experience was the opposite. Fake batteries were also mentioned on the web.

Can't say I've experienced any leakage from them but they don't seem to last as long as (I seem to remember) they used to. I used to recharge them back in the 80's when they were regarded as the best quality dry cell batteries you could get.

Opened up another remote today.
It was far crustier than this as I brushed most of it away just after opening.
IMG_2991.JPG
IMG_2992.JPG
IMG_2993.JPG

IMG_2993.JPG

Funny, yesterday tried to fire up a pair if dead microphones. They both has duracells that had leaked smd caused mayhem

It's the sea air Rich. Don't have these problems in Derbeeeshyre.

'Chinese knock off' batteries are a big problem and you can't tell the difference from genuine ones, the packaging is exactly the same....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
'Chinese knock off' batteries are a big problem and you can't tell the difference from genuine ones, the packaging is exactly the same....
Yes, I saw that posted on the net but these are the Procell ones sold through the trade not in cheapy shops. I've been noticing this problem for probably 3 or 4 years now.

Probably just a coincidence, but Warren Buffet bought Duracell in 2014. They do have a factory in China.

Hmmm…, you could be onto something there Flint :think:

Back