Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ECU piggy back modification

mark lang

Hi Guys , another ECU question , the Guys up at west Coast 4x4 tell me that a module can be fitted and ECU modified to give better fuel Economy/perfomance /torque etc to the 78 series.
I am contemplating doing this as my 3 L seems a bit underpowered when towing my twin wheeler caravan .
the modified ecu would give quicker gear change and increase Bhp/Torque and overall would benefit me especially if i can gain up to 3mpg when not towing ?.
can anyone throw any suggestions/experience my way please , Regards, Mark.

mark lang said:
can anyone throw any suggestions/experience my way please , Regards, Mark.

Yeah, in general these engines are liable to overheating and anything that stresses them more is a bad thing. I fitted a free-flowing exhaust to my LJ78 (2.4 version of yours) which helps keep the temperature down, boosts power a little and torque a fair bit, and, where before fitting 27mpg was the best I could do, I can now manage 30mpg with a full roof if I drive carefully enough. The extra torque is very welcome when it comes to towing my boat long distances too :) If you can find room for an intercooler I'd fit one of those too, not for extra power, more for reliability ;)

Jim.

Back