Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Electric Headlamp Adjust when loaded - help needed pls?

TALAMAN

Country Flag
cyprus
Hi All,

Went to adjust my headlights the other day because of a big weight in the back. When I rotated the switch on the dash one headlight responded and one did not.

In the downloaded manual I have, there is not mention of this mechanism.

Before I start removing headlights etc to investigate I wondered if anyone has any experience or information that may help me please?

I know there are two options on replacement headlights, one with and one without the electric adjuster. Has one light been replaced with a non-adjuster unit? Otherwise I guess it's just bust.

Thanks MODVRS Been in the garage looking, one moves perfectly and the other moves a fraction. So I need to grease or service it. Need info if anybody has any please?

Well one thing I wouldn't do of course if keep moving the switch up and down. You can adjust them manually with a screwdriver or socket on the head of the screw that sticks up under the bonnet if it's an emergency. I'd get some decent spray with a long straw and get it sprayed on and leave it for a while. Then go one click at a time in either direction to see it it will free up. Getting the headlight out on a Collie is really easy if you want to put it on the bench.

On an odd but related topic, I have a Hilux and I went to adjust my headlights recently. Only one went up and down. It's not that old so I was a bit cross. I pulled the headlight unit out only to find that it only has one motorised headlight. Huh? It's genuine and hasn't been replaced that I know of. When I look at the pattern moving, it's really only the kerb side that has the upwards kick to it. In the UK it's not really an issue, but when we were in Germany this year, lowering that side had the effect similar to sticking those adjusters on the lens. Maybe I should read the handbook. Nah.

Thanks Chris - been out spraying already - giving it overnight to soak and will see if there is any change. I any of your manuals, do you have drawings or diagrams of the set up - beginning to think these adjusters were only fitted to European models and maybe that is why it doesn't feature in the manual I have downloaded from God knows where!

I don't. I've not had a Collie for years. I don't think though that the SM actually shows any parts separately. It's a simple motor and worm drive I'd guess. They barely get any use and just stop working. Give it time and gentle persuasion.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
lights1.JPG

From the service manual if it's any help

Back