Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Electrical Issue LJ70

Combatants

Country Flag
australia
Hey Guys,

Looking for a bit of advice/guidance, I have owned the bundy for 6 months now and everytime i took it through a mudhole all the dash warning lights would come on but after a few seconds they would turn off.
Just recently the warning lights stayed on and on the way home the battery went flat (lost CD player and then headlights) had a mate jumpstart the car and charge the battery for several minutes and this got the car home.
My initial thought was dirty ground somewhere, i have cleaned every grounding i can see. Cleaned all the connectors on the Alternator but still all the warning lights come on, any ideas?

LJ70 1988 2L-T

Aternator brushes worn out, had the same thing happen on my hilux, should be able to just buy the brushes

Yep, alternator brushes worn out or sticking in the holders. Should be pretty straight forward once you get the back off the alternator on the bench.

Just a completion on this, Both the above comments were correct Alternator brushes were munted! However the alternator does not need to be removed to replace the bushes, there was just two (2) Nuts on the top (1 is the main charge) then the top plate is pulled out and 1 more nut to release the brushes, local sparky had bosch ones instock and charged me $5 to replace and re solder in the new brushes. WINNING!

Sweet. :) Lucky your local sparkie had exactly the right brushes. Usually the whole cartridge, brush holder and all is changed but just as good to replace the brushes with a good clean up as you have done.
Thanks for the update.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back