Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Electrical Problem

AlexDukes

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi Everyone, hope you are all having a good day.

So I have just recently developed a weird problem, my LJ70 is working fine, however, nothing electrical works in the cabin.

Head unit, dome light, clock, dont work and 'pre-heat' and 'filter' no longer light up when staring the car along with a whole load of other dash lights.

As I said the car runs fine, however also when driver the green and amber boost lights are permanently on and, the battery light is always on, unless I put my foot to the floor, then they flash!

I have checked the fuses and they all seem to be OK.

Where do I need to start looking? Any advice?

Maybe start with checking Battery cables, alternator cables, earth cables, etc..

Is the battery being charged correctly? If I remember rightly some of the 70 series had a separate regulator fitted on the drivers side inner wing.
Check your getting 14v at the battery first. Also check under the dash for any loose earths ( on the drivers side I think if it has a metal dash).
Flashing lights sometimes points to alternator problems. Check all the connections on the alternator as well, could be just a loose plug.
Sorry if you have already done these but you didn't mention in your post that you had. HTH

Also check the ‘Dome’ fuse which may be in a fusebox under the Bonnet (don’t know your vehicle).

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What is your battery gauge showing? Check what volts you get at the battery, check connections at the battery especially smaller wires. Without knowing what year lj 70 or 78? it is exactly hard to say anything else. It will rather be grounds or connection somwhere not alternator as dome light etc would still work even with alternator gone

I have checked all the positive connections and they seem fine.

The grounds are hard to say as there seems to be to be so many of them! But the ones I can see seem to be ok

My car is '99 so a 70.

The battery gauge shows normal voltage, but the battery light stays on permanently then stays on max when the car is running.

I am guessing now as the heater light is not coming on when I turn on the car and it is getting colder that the pre heaters are not getting power either as the car is now really hard to start.

So list of things not working are ;

Pre heater
Stereo
Internal light
Clock

Everything else seems to work and fuses seem ok

I was thinking maybe a relay? Burnt out and not switching?

Back