Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Electrical problems

jgrowe

Hi there everyone. I am new to this forum but am a die hard Landcruiser and Toyota fan. I have a 2004 LC4 that I have owned from new with 77000 on the clock. So far it has been brilliant. It is used regularly to tow our horse box and ferry the family around.
I wouldn't mind a bit of advice from some more experienced owners. I have a problem that the car wouldn't start (dead battery) after a trip to the supermarket. We managed to push it out of the carpark (bloody difficult) and onto a hill and bumped it in the usual way. Once started it drove home OK but we had warning lights going on and off like a xmas tree all the way home and very dim headlights. At some points the lights and everything in the cockpit went out but the engine continued to run. My question is - is this an alternator problem or a battery problem? The battery charged up overnight and the car started first time this morning. I have located the alternator and the belt is going round but I am unable to see anything rotating through the little vent holes in the casing (should I be able to see the inner workings rotate?
Any help would be much appreciated. Because of its age I no longer take it to the Toyota dealer but will pop it up to our local garage tomorrow morning. It would be nice to go along armed with a bit of knowledge about the problem to ensure I don't get taken for a very expensive ride!

Welcome to the forum. Warning lights coming on like that is usually associated with an alternator fault but if you take it to a garage they should be able to check that. You're unlikely to see the alternator internals rotating through the holes in the casing, those holes are for cooling and just expose the outer layer of the alternators workings and not the inner rotating part.

Back