Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Email trouble anyone?

frank rabbets

Guru
My email is with TalkTalk. I'm having delays and some not arriving at all, as yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

Frank,

Is it any emails or just from us?

If all emails then it's a TT problem and probably not much you can do other than call them.
Is your connection ok? What do you get if you go to www.speedTest.net.

CP

It could be any email.

SpeedTest = 1.65/0.71 which is normal for here.

Some emails are at least 3 days late. Never say never but I think safe to say some never arrive.

this is my speed

197056905 (1).jpg

Last edited:
That is pretty dire Frank. It would not stop emails arriving though unless they are rather large.
Give TT a call, hard to prove though. Do they arrive out of order?

RR - you need to upgrade ;) Life is better on 160MB :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Crispin, yes it is dire but it does not slow utube videos down and other browsing is fairly quick.

I sent a one word email to myself on Tuesday this week and it has not arrived yet. I havn't noticed if ones I receive are out of order. I noticed today that Knuckleheads post on brake fluid suddenly arrived on my screen but he posted yesterday. I wonder if he is on TT?

My friend in Cheltenham is having the same trouble with TT. I can't ring them as I don't know what I'm talking about so I've written to TT HQ asking for a refund.

If I change to BT will I have the same problem?

Thanks for help
Frank

This could be any number of things but you really should call TT. You don't have to know what you're talking about, just tell them what the problem is and let their IT support people sort it. If you haven't called them they won't know you have a problem and if you've written to them for a refund I should imagine they'll want to try and sort the problem out first anyway. If it turns out to be some issue with your PC (possible but unlikely) then you could be no better off if your change your BB supplier, that's why you should call them and give them a shot at diagnosing/fixing it. JMO

What tp said. It's not you, it's their mail server. If bt can give you better speed then use that as another reason to leave / drive the price down.

I tried the App you suggested, got these readings from the iPad. It varies quite a lot though, is that to be expected?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

We were having similar problems a good while ago so i used to turn off the router for 30 seconds (that's how they get updates apparently ?) , eventually i couldn't connect at all and so phoned my service provider who as it turned out was astonished i hadn't lost connection at least a couple of years sooner because he said my netgear router was ancient in technology terms .

I tried the App you suggested, got these readings from the iPad. It varies quite a lot though, is that to be expected?

View attachment 18287

View attachment 18288

View attachment 18289

To get a reliable indication of your BB speed and it's consistency you should really try it using an ethernet cable connection which obviously you can't do with an iPad. That's not to say that wireless is inherently unstable or unreliable but it can be prone to more variables than a cabled connection.

Does BT still do that TUPPENCE OF MONTH for the first 6 months and approx twice as expensive as anyone else thereafter . ? I've been with AOL for years without complaint , twice i've phoned support and both times i spoke to someone in Ireland . £18 monthly for unlimited broadband with landline included , i think we get free calls as well but the house phone has been unplugged for years because Helen works nights

Last edited:
you need to be careful if considering BT.
We got a 12month unlimited fibre broadband, free w'end calls for £10 a month.
It then goes through the roof if you do not phone a month before end of contract to re-negotiate next 12 months or cancel.

Also, this deal was online only. When we called their phone sales people they could not see this deal and didn't believe it existed!

Be also aware that BT no longer seem to use their own engineers and outsource the work to Openreach.

Problem is they don't seem to talk to each other and we had endless missed appointments to set up the phone line - both blaming each other.
With this and a bunch of other problems they paid us out £60 comp so effectively got 6 months broadband free but lost several years off my life expectancy dealing with India.

Why is everything so Fing complicated. In my day there was engine oil, gear box oil, brake fluid, gas company, electric company, telephone company all with shops and offices with their doors open within walking distance of the house. We did not WANT progress. We were mis sold progress. I daren't touch the smiley icon because my browser freezes. I'm gonna wait for one of those mis selling adverts and start action. SMILE.

P.S. I'll take the general advice and stay with my present devil and start moaning but when my friend did this he was told to contact Microsoft.

Thanks, I'll start.

This is rather better, on returning to Bucharest....

image.jpg

I am no longer getting notifications of new posts to threads I am following, I have checked in settings and to receive them is still selected, all other emails are coming through OK.
I just sent one to myself which arrived in one minute could this be anything to do with the recent upgrades?

Probably the weather Chas, have you tried gritting the computer? :lol::lol::lol:

Back