Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

End of an earache.

Yup, heard it on the news driving home tonight, seems almost overdue and it's possibly a little due to cheaper labour.

I am surprised that the UK is just hearing about this now. It was business news in mainland Europe months ago when the Checks agreed the deal that included them building a 125 million euro factory for LR.
But then the UK citizens are treated like mushrooms by government and media alike, IMO.

Rodger

I am surprised that the UK is just hearing about this now. It was business news in mainland Europe months ago when the Checks agreed the deal that included them building a 125 million euro factory for LR.
But then the UK citizens are treated like mushrooms by government and media alike, IMO.

Rodger

I think the factory has been news for months but on the basis they were going to co-produce the Disco. But the full cutover was only announced by JLR today which is probably why the full cutover hadn't been in the news until today. Surprised the Czechs were building a factory in Slovakia though.

oh dear.. will things ever get any better in this country?

I fear not..

"Surprised the Czechs were building a factory in Slovakia though."

Point taken, but fairness it was months ago and I didn't refer back to the announcement which clearly said that production was moving to the new factory but then they are saying that electric vehicle production will continue a Solihull - softening the blow?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The BBC News take on it was that JLR are moving production of the 'old technology' Disco to Slovakia so that they can prepare the Solihull site for the next generation of hybrid high-tech models.

We shall see; will an electric Ewok be any better ??

Bob.

The BBC News take on it was that JLR are moving production of the 'old technology' Disco to Slovakia so that they can prepare the Solihull site for the next generation of hybrid high-tech models.

We shall see; will an electric Ewok be any better ??

Bob.

IIRC, lectrickery was never Lawn Roller’s strongest feature... :think:

Is this fallout from Brexit? Isn't most of what JLR produce exported?

I think there's two problems. They export lots, although not necessarily into the rest of the EU. But we will need to negotiate tariffs with the places they do export lots to, the US (whose leader wouldn't meet with Treeza at the G7), and China. So right now JLR have no idea what tariffs they might be working with.

But also, the shipping bits all over Europe before they are finally assembled problem.

The UK head (Goss?) was saying Slovakia was in-part them hedging their bets.

The electric stuff sounds promising, but it'll sound more promising when they actually start to invest in Solihull. Looks like that's not scheduled to happen until they know much more about the trading landscape post exit. Not much comfort if you are one of the nearly 2000 going to be out of work though, sitting, twiddling your thumbs until the factory has been altered.

IIRC, lectrickery was never Lawn Roller’s strongest feature... :think:
Along with reliability, longevity (yes I know many survive but they are mostly like Trigger’s broom), comforts, water - sorry, rain tightness, and ability to largely stay in one piece for long periods of time.

Back