Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine Conversion, wich type?

Azzaust

Hi
I have a 92 80 series with the 3fe petrol engine. I have been thinking of a few options and I hope you can give me some advice on the options buy cost and compatibility and POWER.

To have the 20 year engine reconditioned and have a bullet supercharger placed on it, my concern is that for the cost of the supercharger and rebuild could it do more damage to the rebuilt engine and would it give out the most power.
or get a later reconditioned engine like 1FZ and ad the supercharger or go for the full conversion to the turbo diesel, with this I know there will have to be computer and exhaust system modifications,

And for the left field would any of the 70 series preferably a V8 engines fit into the 80 series or will there be mounting and space issues?
Thanks for your time and as much information would be very helpful,

I don't think we have a 3FE 80 owner on this forum, but I'm sure we can help. Where are you based? Could you add your location (at least country) in "my profile" under the "about me" tab as this will help in providing a useful answer.

Looks like you would like to stick with petrols, how much power do you really want and how much do you actually need? After some searching looks like you can increase the power output of the 3FE with some sensible mods: http://www.pnwadventures.com/menu/toyota-fj80-landcruiser-3fe-resources/

And on that page you will find a link to: http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/55383-since-3fe-slow-why-no-aftermarket-support.html

Seems like you can increase the power up to 30% without forced induction.

Engine swaps are not easy and depending on where you live it may be cheaper just to get a more powerful LC like the 100 series 4.7 V8. Chevy 350 is possible as well, I think you can get bell housing adaptors in the US or AUZ.

Last edited:
Have a browse through the ih8mud forum.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/365794-diesel-transplanted-80-series-registry.html

There are many owner's in the US who have re-engined there 80 series (mainly from petrol to diesel) ranging from the 12H-T and 1HD-T/FT Toyota engines to GM 6 - 6.5L diesel and turbo diesel engines. As has been said already, your choice and final decision will be heavily influenced on your location.

As regards supercharging the rebuilt engine, the reliability will depend heavily on the quality of the rebuild and the components used which will probably have to be uprated.

As you suggested the later 1FZ and possibly even the much later 4.7 Lexus based V8 could be options. I guess if you have the will and throw enough money at it you could fit just about anything of a similar size in there but a trade up to a later more powerful model may be more cost effective and certainly a lot less hassle.

Seeing as it is a 3FE from factory, does this mean you will have drum brakes on the back? If so then may also be worth thinking about upgrading the brakes, even the standard larger 80 series disc brakes all round are not that great and need upgrading on a standard 1HD-T or 1HD-FT.

Last edited:
Its expensive but the direction I will be heading when my 1fz dies.... LS1 v8. All the power you could need and you will probably get better economy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Back