Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine, is this the BEB’s

Jake the Peg

Country Flag
scotland
hi, so eventually I’ve got to go for a look at my 80, and did some power washing to remove the mud from everywhere, I think it’s acted as a preventative coating as so far it seems pretty solid and clean but hopefully I’ll get it up on the ramp tomorrow

Hopefully this little video works, would you say it’s the big ends?

https://flic.kr/p/PtJ4CN

Cheers

Your BEBs go knock knock knock BANG as the con rod comes through the block. Sound like the top end to me. Tappets maybe? Take the oil filler cap off when it's running and you might get a clearer listen.

hi, so eventually I’ve got to go for a look at my 80, and did some power washing to remove the mud from everywhere, I think it’s acted as a preventative coating as so far it seems pretty solid and clean but hopefully I’ll get it up on the ramp tomorrow

Hopefully this little video works, would you say it’s the big ends?

https://flic.kr/p/PtJ4CN

Cheers
It sounds just like a 6cyl cummins we had on the farm for a irrigation pump. it sounds more like a diesel knock to me. but I think the wind from the fan was messing with the mic on your phone.. so hard to tell. The old cummins ran for years just about flat out 20hrs a day.

ive heard alot of engines where the bearings are shot jake and most sound top end.
chris is right though. they do bang. at the point of the bang and knock its game over though and the cranks too far. when you here the tap noise you can possibly get away with it.

for the time it takes to drop the sump id just do it. if the engine lets go your going to be looking at a big bill.

Remember it's a 24v so it shouldn't really need the BEBs doing. But maybe worth it for peace of mind if you're that way inclined.

I’d also go for top end. Sounds a bit “tinny” to be bearing knock and not fast enough, more in line with the speed of camshaft rotation rather than crank.
Quickest and easiest first, get the lid off and check for tappet/bridge problems.
Sump removal and BEB checking is also pretty straight forward, just takes a bit longer.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I’m no expert on this (thankfully) but that sounds tappety to me (which I have heard many a time, mostly on passing Fiestas). Simplest things first as said, take the oil cap off and it should get louder and sharper. There’s a bit of an art to setting up the rockers I believe but somewhere on here there’s a link to a video on a good way to do it.

Thanks guys for the replies, I’ll strip off the rocker cover tomorrow and have a look, it does sound like it’s from the top end, but the noise is quite sharp when you listen in from the wheel well.
Hopefully the parts will come to get the generator for the workshop tomorrow and I’ll get the ramp working and get under to check

Cheers

Be interesting to see what you find under the cam cover. the 24v tappets open up only very slowly so you could do 200,000k miles with perhaps an increase of only .003". This amount would not be enough to make the tappets noisy.

try putting some 2 stroke oil at 200:1 ratio into your diesel tank

Update, well not really but I did take the rocker cover off for a look and didn’t see anything obvious so just put it back together, I’m away to work again next week so will wait stripping the sump off until then. There is for sure a change in sound as the oil pressure builds and the cha- chap chapping gets less. The gauges aren’t much use as most of the lights are on, I think I will make up a gauge at work to check pressure

Cheers

I had my truck running again today, had to disappear for work unfortunately,
I tried loading up the fuel filter with plenty 2 stroke, and it’s difficult to say if it made much difference , I must try that on my T5 as it sounds like it has a man with a bag of spanner’s inside it too!
When using a stethoscope to try to pinpoint the noise, you can definitely match the noise to two of the injector pipes, although you don’t get much tapping from low in the crankcase.

I think I need to bite the bullet and start with the sockets and spanner’s and get inside! Someone give me a shove!

Cheers

I cocked up my tappet clearance procedure once and their gaps were twice what they should have been. There was no change in tappet noise but a very strange booming coming from he air inlet and exhaust pipe. This was because the enlarged gaps sodded up the valve timing. So in my experience they are not loud when loose.

This is cylinder 3, all others looked ok, with some light rubbing marks in the centres, not sure of the miles as it’s had a clock change before coming north, but probably just over 200k

Still have some tap tap tapping so will do the valve clearances tomorrow and see.
The oil pressure gauge on the dash doesn’t seem to do much but you can hear a difference when pressure builds

Cheers

FD3D1C4A-2347-400B-964C-E564F4BD0B10.jpeg

Today’s update, still tappping away after setting the valve clearances so not sure where to go next, but it is running smoother and quieter. You can for sure hear a difference when the oil pressure builds but the gauge doesn’t move at all either running or off.

Cheers

Yes Karl, number 3 is pictured above, all the rest were fine with just a little rubbing, probably consistent for around 200k

Cheers

im dropping some bits off to lad who does a lot of work on these engines on Friday, ill play him the vid and ask him his thoughts.
it does seem as though its going to be a process of elimination.
it might be worth having the injectors serviced.

I think it was Taiho Karl, my neighbour works in a big motor factor and I get special prices!

I was very surprised to see how clean it was inside, both top and bottom ends with the “high” level of servicing it’s had for the last 4 or 5 years
Think I’m going to end up taking the head off , or run it till it goes bang, but don’t really want to do either!

Cheers

Back