Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine light on running rough 4.5TD v8

PedroAraujo

Country Flag
england
hi guys,

Just filled my tank with diesel and drove 10 miles and the engine started running rough, with the engine light on solid. Any suggestions on what I need to look at? Is there a code reader that I can purchase to give me readings?

I alsowould like to know what the problem turned out to be I suspect water in fuel or petrol instead of diesel but water I would think the likely culprit since you managed 10 miles before symptoms started

check your fuel filters for water/crud/whatever...did you actually get diesel?

Did you fix it
Hi John, I did manage to source the problem, it took a little while to figure out as it only started happening once the engine started warming up, my first reaction was fuel but it turned out to be the coolant sensor believe it or not.

This took me about a week to solve, the thing that was constant was it started hesitating after running 3/4 minutes, so it wasn't pointing directly at the fuel system, which was my first suspicion. I downloaded the engine ECU wiring schematic and noticed the water temperature sensor does connect to the ECU and has values that change when warming up. I went to pull the sensor connector off and the insulation on the top of the sensor broke away! Not obvious when you looked at it, so it looks like it wasn't reporting back to the ECU any change to the temperature. I think the ECU is a lot smarter than we think!

Since replacing the coolant temperature switch, it's going like train!

Hi John, I did manage to source the problem, it took a little while to figure out as it only started happening once the engine started warming up, my first reaction was fuel but it turned out to be the coolant sensor believe it or not.

This took me about a week to solve, the thing that was constant was it started hesitating after running 3/4 minutes, so it wasn't pointing directly at the fuel system, which was my first suspicion. I downloaded the engine ECU wiring schematic and noticed the water temperature sensor does connect to the ECU and has values that change when warming up. I went to pull the sensor connector off and the insulation on the top of the sensor broke away! Not obvious when you looked at it, so it looks like it wasn't reporting back to the ECU any change to the temperature. I think the ECU is a lot smarter than we think!

Since replacing the coolant temperature switch, it's going like train!

Wow us mere mortals would never have been able to diagnose that.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yeah, sheer luck I think, it had me worried, I thought it might be the ECU and something more sinister.

My truck is 10 years old and has 50k kms as genuine kms, my suspicion is that whoever owned it before couldn't solve the problem and they offloaded it, lucky find. Now that's it's sorted ( 3 weeks trouble free and over 1000 kms driving) I consider myself a little lucky.

Back