Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine Mount replacement.

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
Done a search on all forums, but can find nada !

I think I need to change the engine mounts on the truck. I'm hoping that this can be done with the engine in situ?
Anyone done this job and know any smart/clever tricks or shortcuts?

Grazie !

I have never done one but cant see it being a massive job. Engine crane supporting the engine undo engine mounts swap tighten back up and job done.

Obviously that sounds quick and easy,slighty longer to do the job :D

Be careful when hands are in there though :thumbup:

I changed the passenger side mount on my green 80. I just put a jack under the sump with a block of wood to spread the load and raised the engine far enough to get the mount off and the new one on.

I was surprised at how little was involved in removing the mounts when we stripped my burned out one. I think that the job itself isn't difficult - it's just sometimes getting access that's the tricky bit. But a couple of large nuts removed and they should be out.

Are they flexing a lot?

Chris

The rubber separated from the metal on mine, which is not uncommon, makes them rattle in reverse under a bit of load. I don't think I've ever heard of them getting too soft?

Yeah, I had a mini which suffered from the mounts actually splitting. Makes sense.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Truck started to feel a little rougher, erm... more "vibey" really over last year or so, and on inspection the rubber looks like its starting to separate. Motor does shake about more than I think is normal.

I'll get them done then.

Thanks guys, extremely helpful as ever.

If you try to jack the engine up you'll soon see if the rubber has separated from the mount.

I am reluctant to jack my troopie engine up via the sump, as its distortion or collapse would destroy the oil intake. Anyone know the best point to jack from to change the mounts on an HZJ75?

You could lift it instead with an engine crane........

Order a recon engine and it will be shipped on a crate sat on its sump to travel possibly half way across the world , just put a block of wood on top of the jack to spread the weight .

Undo the mount bolts before you lift as if the mounts are whole you might lift the whole car on the sump!!

Order a recon engine and it will be shipped on a crate sat on its sump to travel possibly half way across the world , just put a block of wood on top of the jack to spread the weight .
That's the kind of insight that cures my nervousness. many thanks Shayne. And same to you other helpful mates.

Back