Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine pulley broken

Pompon29

Hello

On my 80 (12S 1992) no more cooling and charge! conclusion: the pulleys no longer turn.
In fact, the central screw is in place, but the main pulley on the crankshaft seems broken (!).
And I cannot loose the screws; can someone tell me if this is a left or right thread? and if there is a particular method to remove it?
anyone knows this problem?

thank you in advance
(my apologize for my poor english)

The drive is from the harmonic balancer, the bonding between the crank pulley and the pulley that drives the accessories has more than likely failed.

I paint a white strip across mine and then you can see if they are moving about independent of each other.

Easy part swap once the crank bolt is undone.

regards

Dave

The drive is from the harmonic balancer, the bonding between the crank pulley and the pulley that drives the accessories has more than likely failed.

I paint a white strip across mine and then you can see if they are moving about independent of each other.

Easy part swap once the crank bolt is undone.

regards

Dave

Isn't the OP asking advice on removing the pulley retaining bolt Dave, do you think?

It's RH thread and needs a long breaker bar.

Ben used to set it with a socket with the handle against the chassis and then hit the starter to crack it off.

Not sure I'd recommend that but it probably needs an impact wrench, otherwise you'll just be turning the engine when trying to free it off.

Yep Clive, I was just clearing up his question about the pulley being broken.

Your right the bolt is difficult to undo, breaker bar, or maybe remove rad and use a rattle gun.

regards

Dave

Back