Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

engine question

doyle61

Country Flag
ireland
Lads quick question; will a 2.8 fourtrack engine fit into a 70 series? Has anyone ever heard of it been done and is the 2.8 a toyota engine or is it built by diahatsu?

Yep I have a daihatsu 2.8 in my lj70 not a straight fit I'm afraid I made a custom bell housing and mounts ect.
There was a bit of a write up on one of the other landcruiser forums. Just google daihatsu lj70.
Brilliant engine I'm looking to see how easy it would be to fit one in my auto lj78

Ash

Cheers ash,
Tell us, how did you make the custom bell housing? Can you post a couple of pictures?

Last edited:
Just googled that there ash. Is that the front of the fourtrack bell housing and rear of the 70 welded together or am I looking at it arseways?

Yes I made a jig and welded the rear half of the Toyota housing to the front half of the daihatsu bell housing. The main reasons were clutch size and starter location. Input splines are the same and I modified the clutch fork to take the diahatsu thrust bearing to make it easier as all clutch parts are now daihatsu. I did get a crack in the bell housing weld a couple of years ago so I welded a couple of brace webs across the bottom.

Ash

Back