Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine rebuild

Chris said:
Looking forward to hear when it's running again Paul. It's a heck of an undertaking pulling that out, taking it to bits and sticking it back in again. Perhaps you could summarise the whole removal replacement experience into a few crucial chunks at some point. On a scale of 10 how challenging was it? All dependent on ability I know. But for you average spanner savvy home mechanic?

Chris
Not as much as I'm looking forward to hearing it running.

As far as challenging goes, anyone with a basic mechanical aptitude should be able to tackle the job as long as during the rebuild you check, then double check and then when you're sure it's right check it again, oh and don’t forget to RTFM :thumbup: .... on a scale of 10 today was off the scale... just one little bolt has been a right pain :x

I truly feel your pain. I can't believe anyone who does this stuff, Paul and has not been where you are. Whether it's cross threading something, a bolt you simply cannot reach, a tool that has vanished and was there a moment ago, a vital nut that drops down inside something or the realisation that you'll have to take it all off again because you for the bit that goes inside!

Why do we do this, again?

Chris

Can I borrow your multi coloured brush?

281120101116-Small.jpg

In the middle of an axle rebuild.
Your right though... it's amazing how you don't notice the cold when your getting stuck in!

Attachments

• 281120101116-Small.jpg
    281120101116-Small.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 91
You must have that finished by now IQ - piece 'o pish :lol:

Didn't get a chance to work on it today.
But yeh... it's not difficult.

IQ

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris said:
I truly feel your pain. I can't believe anyone who does this stuff, Paul and has not been where you are. Whether it's cross threading something, a bolt you simply cannot reach, a tool that has vanished and was there a moment ago, a vital nut that drops down inside something or the realisation that you'll have to take it all off again because you for the bit that goes inside!

Why do we do this, again?

Chris

Because its a real PITA if you have to run 150 miles at 55mph carrying the wife and kids on your back :lol:

And the fascination of something that comes to life at the flick of a switch.

Another cold day -8c at 09:00.
1108707292_6wXUt-L.jpg

I decided to see if the turbo oil feed banjo bolt was accessible from under the wheel arch...... oh yes, a clear view of where it needed to be positioned made all the difference. Within 5 minutes the bolt was in :clap:
1108707196_Yx8Dw-L.jpg

Spot the happy face....
1108707242_UNh8f-L.jpg

Yeeehaaaaa, a little persuasion was needed to bring her to life. I had to slacken off the fuel pipes from the injectors to bleed the air, once this was done she started up and runs puuuurrrfectlyyyy.

Am I happy...... oh yes, it's been a long two months.
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Attachments

• 1108707292_6wXUt-L.jpg
    1108707292_6wXUt-L.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 1108707196_Yx8Dw-L.jpg
    1108707196_Yx8Dw-L.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 1108707242_UNh8f-L.jpg
    1108707242_UNh8f-L.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 90
Fantastic! Well done. Well now I know what to do if I have some spare time on my hands. I'll just whip the engine out and rebuild it! Not.

Good to hear that it's running well. Another million miles, then.

Chris

Hats off to you, Paul :thumbup: That's a job well done - hope it's running like new :clap:

Cheers,

Great news Paul
All the pain and suffering must feel worth it now :clap:

Good job - well done!
Still some snow left to play in!

Very nice. So where's the audio clip??? :cool:

brilliant news! not a job i would tackle as looked a right pain.
hope it drives nicely after the rebuild!

Back