Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine running in advice please

JimmyLJ71

I have just has my engine re-built, there are basic guidelines i have been given as to run it in, i want to look after it and get the best out of it, what is the best way i can do it?

The guidelines they give are: don't run it over 55mph, service it at 600 miles, use the correct oil and check the oil/fluids every day.

If i rang them they would probably give me more detailed advice, but i will like advice from the guys on the forum. :thumbup:

Please note mine is an Auto

Alot of people will have alot of different views on this. Personally (knowing yours is auto) I would say try not to let it rev over 3000rpm too much, although I know you might need more than this to get it to kick up in some situations. Just don't push it too hard. After the 600 mile service gradually start giving it more power, as in still drive gently but give it a bit more every now and then. I wouldn't try to floor it until you've done 1k miles or so, and then maybe from 1200miles give it a load of right foot for half a tank. After this point I would give it another oil/filter change and declare it fully run-in.

Of course, if the engine still feels tight or unwilling at any stage, don't force it. Push the boundaries a little at a time until it's running completely free.

HTH
Jim.

For most engines they reccomend not staying at constant revs like long motorway driving as this is not good for the engine. I would say drive it like normal, but dont push the car to its limits, drive smoothly ect and service often for the first 20,000 and then you should be fine.

All as the others have said but also dont leave your engine at idle for long periods until its well run in, it does a new engine no good at all.

Thanks for the good advice, i was going to take it on a big long run, looks as though it could do with a bit of a mix of driving, if i keep the overdrive on it changes gear before 3000rpm, sounds like that is good.

I need to get a move on because i1m taking it to Morocco next April

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'd agree. Mixed driving is what I have been told by several sources. Not thrashing to the limits as said previously. Pretty much normal driving for a normal person then.

Which probably equates to engines don't actually need running in? :?:

Chris

I would say the first oil change is uber-important, plus choice of oil - quality brand from the word go.

Has the garage suggested taking it back for the head bolts to be checked at the first service?

Running in shows its worth as the engine gets older, as does regular maintenance and servicing using quality parts, as long as you take a long term holistic approach I reckon you'll get another lifetime out of the truck.

Regards

Pete

If the engine builder has adhered to the correct clearances and the bore has been cross hatched, then running in is a lot easier than it was 40 odd years ago. The most important point is keep the load light and the revs. free, i.e. don't labour the engine, change down to climb a hill and let the engine run at a higher revs on a light throttle going down them. High loads will generate localised heat spots that can cause damage. Long runs will not cause any harm as long as the temperature remains normal. I bought an MR2 and on the first day drove from Alnwick up to Braemar and then back to Edinburgh. That's 600 miles.Follow the advice of the engine builder to the letter regarding oil and filter changes, even to getting him to do them. That way he can't complain that you did not follow his instructions if something goes wrong. Oil usage is a very emotive subject but should not exceed half a pint in the first 1,000 miles and thereafter negligible between changes at 3,000 mile intervals.

Roger

Many thanks

Started to run it in this weekend, keeping the revs around 2000-2500, it definitely feels better, you wan't to put your foot down, but can't.

Had a bit of a scare yesterday :twisted: , no oil on the dip stick :( , then realised the oil was so clean you could hardly see it :D

I am constantly checking the gauges, all seems to be fine, done about 100km so far.

Back