Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine swap 95series 3.0

Dino

Country Flag
croatia
Is possible to fit 4.2 1hd fte engine in my 95 series to replace 3.0 1kz-te stock? thanks

Because i had a tape measure in my hand and an 80 and 90 series parked next to each other outside when i read your question i ventured out into the rain for a quick look and theres about 10" difference in the length of the bonnets .

I love my swb 90 but i always wanted the 4.2 , now i have both i can say for sure the 4.2 in a 90 would ruin it even if it did fit . They are chalk and cheese different vehicles and the 90 series strengths are that its light fast and nimble whereas the 80 is light fast and nimble ........... for a heavy goods vehicle .

You could fit a V8 in there... Block is similar in length to a 4 banger.... 1uz from a Lexus? Just saying...

Seriously though... Nightmare conversion I'd imagine. If you want more power, better to get a 1KD engine, complete with vehicle, or a straight exhaust and an intercooler on the kz for some gains

You could fit a 2lt in it if you want a bit more power! Lol Quite a popular conversion on the 70 series scene!:laughing-rolling:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My 1kd truck is in better overall condition than my 1kz and if i could convince myself to do an engine swap it would be the 1kd going on ebay .

The 2UZ would be a better fit. They sold that engine in the Lexus LX470 and 4th Gen 4runner, both of which have similar design/platform to the 90 series.

Gents,

I have a similar question, I have a Prado 96 KZJ95 and doing an engine swap from 1KZ TE to 5VZ FE along with relevant transmission. My question is do I need to replace both diffs as well or it will run fine on the existing diff

Gents,

I have a similar question, I have a Prado 96 KZJ95 and doing an engine swap from 1KZ TE to 5VZ FE along with relevant transmission. My question is do I need to replace both diffs as well or it will run fine on the existing diff

Are you changing from manual to auto?

I think you'd run fine. I'm not sure if the Petrol vs Diesel had any differences in gear ratios

Non will be stronger than the next and i don't believe there's a huge amount of difference , i can't remember which is which now or the numbers but i have an R16 and an R17 ratio 90 , the truck that came from the factory with say 50hp more than the other obviously has taller diff gearing but i'm sure they could swapped without worry .

Because my 1kz probably has as much power as my 1kd now i have considered swapping the diffs , but all i will gain is increased top speed (both trucks will do 100mph anyway) and maybe , just maybe it will interfere with the fact that my originally lesser hp 1kz is far more fun to drive .

Yeah running on 33" instead of the factory 31" has taken a little bit of the initial get up and go traffic light to traffic light, but I do a lot of miles on the highways so the taller gearing work well. Cruises at 90 without stressing the engine. And I still think another gear would be nice to drop the revs 300 rpm's or so.

I would say that the diff ratios would be the same for both trucks. That said the axle code on the chassis plate of the donor and receiving could be checked to make sure.

Gents,

Please check the attached snap and let me know what it is and its purpose

Prado engine room.jpg

Back