Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine upgrades

wobbly

Garage
I know i'v read it somewhere, but I dont know where, so I'll start again.

The 2.4 is fine for poodling around town, and short dual carriageway runs, but after towing a twin-axle trailer some 50 miles, up a pretty long steep hill, it just seems to lack the ooomph.

So what are the options?

I've read about 'tuning' the turbo, but my feeling is that in doing so I run the risk of increasing performance but reducing lifespan of the unit.

An alternative lump seems to be the only way ahead.

The swap i've seen mentioned is to the 3.0 engine, think its the kz-te? gives better power and mpg, but is not immune to the overheating genie that resides under the bonnet.

Was there a later 2.8 diesel - the one that has the 3L head.

What about other types of engine - Ford Transits seem to cruise at about 150mph - would one go in?

The problem is whether the LJ78 value is worth the cost of putting a new lump in, or keep the cash and sell the LJ, then buy a later 3.0 model?

I have specific reasons for keeping the LJ - I have a narrow bridge to cross in and out of home, and the LJ fits nicely, plus when i bought it I had £3k to spend - buying the vehicle, a big service and new tyres has got me there, all I am waiting on is the Ironman suspension to be available, and I've covered all I need to (air intake on list but its not a must have), so money wise it has worked well.

Downside is the poor economy (20mpg) and gutless lump....but is it worth throwing maybe another £2k at it - ie spending a total of £5k on a truck that wont be worth £3k when its finished?

The landrover world is littered with perkins or isuzu conversions - but toyotas dont seem to attract the same - maybe because most toyota engines fitted as standard are better anyway, so dont need swapping?

Any thoughts welcome.

Pete

If you are satisfied with your present motor, excluding the power problem, then keep it. Trying to find a KZJ 70 will be difficult, because only about 350 were ever imported. Even if you found one, the chances are that you could be faced with the task of sorting out problems that you may or may not be aware of at the time of purchase. After all, you are buying a motor that is at least 15 years old. Caveat emptor and all that.

Forget the electronic version of the 3 litre.The extra wiring would be a nightmare and there is no guarantee that you would get all the parts you need to do the conversion when you buy the engine. It's far better to get the mechanical fuel version. Yes I know they are rare but you have a working motor, so time is on your side. Just keep looking.

Believe me, once you get that motor under the bonnet, the wait will have been worth it.

Roger

wobbly said:
but is it worth throwing maybe another £2k at it - ie spending a total of £5k on a truck that wont be worth £3k when its finished?Any thoughts welcome.Pete
I can't offer any advice about engines I'm afraid but for what it's worth, with my 80 I don't begrudge spending money on what is an old and not worth a lot vehicle (to anybody else that is, to me it's priceless) I'm 68 going on 18 now and it will probably last a lot longer then me I expect. I haven't added up what I've spent on it so far, I think I'd have a heart attack if I did.

wobbly said:
I know i'v read it somewhere, but I dont know where, so I'll start again.

The 2.4 is fine for poodling around town, and short dual carriageway runs, but after towing a twin-axle trailer some 50 miles, up a pretty long steep hill, it just seems to lack the ooomph.
So what are the options?

Pete

Give Paul a ring at West Coast 4x4
I dropped off the red 70 series with him.
A week later I collected it with a 3.0L lump dropped in.
All the conversions done, rad, accelarator, exhaust, ect.

Driving it back after the 3.0L engine install, makes me wonder why on earth Toyota ever bothered with the fragile 2.4l lump.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8653

Graham

wobbly said:
What about other types of engine - Ford Transits seem to cruise at about 150mph - would one go in?
Really :? the last one I drove did 60 after you had your foot to for about half an hour!

Engine upgrade options you say...

Now don't shoot me down in flames, you asked. And seeing as no one else has thrown it out there, putting in a 1UZ-FE V8 from an early 90's Lexus LS400 is an option. These conversions have been pretty well documented and become very popular in Oz and SA.

Seeing as you can pick up a LS400 for less than £600 on autotrader these days it could be an idea. Also the LS400 mpg figures are apparently between 18-23mpg, and considering the LJ70 is no doubt a fair bit lighter it might prove more economical than what your getting now, not to mention the added oomph... :auto-layrubber:

How about seeing this under your bonnet every time you open it...:drool:
LJ703.jpg

LJ702.jpg

Go on, do it. You know you want to... :twisted:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Now that's an idea Ryan!! Looking to do a 1kz upgrade but could be an option.. Could you post any of the links to the websites detailing the swop?

These are a few websites that have quite a few 1UZ conversion threads on them:
http://www.uzswap.com - general buildup info
http://www.uzswap.com/forum/index.php?topic=159.0
http://www.lextreme.com - General buildup info
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=55787

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFnHjROa5qo&feature=player_profilepage - I could listen to that all day... :cool:

DellowAuto in Oz do the bellhousing adapter for the LJ70 - http://www.dellowconversions.com.au

I'm still trying to find the build thread on the 70 in the photo's. As soon as i do i'll post it up. It was a pretty comprehensive write up.

Now that just looks fantastic... wonder if I could fit one of those in Lil'Blue :twisted:

On a more serious note, if one was to upgrade to such a engine, what else in the drive train would need to be upgraded, as I assume this will be pushing way more power through it?

Have you considered a 1HD/1HZ series engine in there? I would imagine this could be done with relative ease as the 70 did have the 1HD/1HZ factory fitted on some models (still is in some places) so you could buy all the engine mounts etc from Mr T rather than making them yourself. Plenty of power, minimal electrics and no head issues :thumbup: (apart form the 1HD-FTE which I would imagine would be difficult to wire in)

TonyP said:
On a more serious note, if one was to upgrade to such a engine, what else in the drive train would need to be upgraded, as I assume this will be pushing way more power through it?

From the reading I've done it seems the drive train on the LJ70's are able to cope with the added HP without too much fuss. You can break anything if you try hard enough. And considering how many of these V8's have ended up in Hilux's, which share much of the same drive train with the LJ70, I would imagine that the added power wouldn't be a problem.

Not too clued up on the 90's drive train though... :think:

Go on Tony, I Dare ya... :twisted:

Re: Re: Engine upgrades

TonyP said:

Front right drive shaft would probably need some help...

Sent from TapaTalk

Re: Re: Engine upgrades

Crispin said:
Front right drive shaft would probably need some help...

Sent from TapaTalk

Nah that's covered.... duct tape over the locker switch... problem solved :lol:

Rob said:
Have you considered a 1HD/1HZ series engine in there? I would imagine this could be done with relative ease as the 70 did have the 1HD/1HZ factory fitted on some models (still is in some places) so you could buy all the engine mounts etc from Mr T rather than making them yourself. Plenty of power, minimal electrics and no head issues :thumbup: (apart form the 1HD-FTE which I would imagine would be difficult to wire in)
This requires body mods on the light duty 70's as the front wings are shorter, leaving too little room under the bonnet for a straight six. It can be done, but you need all the front-end bodywork from a heavy duty 70

Sounds like you have looked into it Jim, are you considering an engine swap too?

Also are the 3.0 l 70s heavy duty?

More as a contingency plan, just incase my motor should succumb to the dreaded head problems. The 3.0l is the later version of the light duty 70, made from '93-'98 iirc. I'll prob go for a 3.0l 1kzt lump in mine if the need ever arises, t'would be nice to have the extra power ;)

Jim,

I'm trying to be one step ahead - put in a new lump now, and cover some of the cost by selling the 2.4.

I'm going to have a look at the lexus idea - that looks the dogs!

The 3.0 swap by west coast - will call for a price, what toyota does that lump come out of?

Pete

Ps thanks for all the suggestions.

id be interested to know what price west coast will supply and fit a 3litre for.

mine feels very under powered with the 35"s. i still want to get mine tuned as it hasnt been done since i fitted my intercooler. so that should make it a bit better :)

Back