Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Epic road trips. Where would you go ?

Actually that's precisely where I'd go. It's stunning. But war and threats of capture / terrorism as well as closed borders etc sort of put me off just for the moment.
It looks incredible, the silk road just seems incredible.

Magadan, via Mongolia, one day

Actually I’ve done the trip several times by google maps while rolling around at sea

Since I saw Ewan McGregor and Charlie do it on bikes its looked amazing (and you can't fall off a cruiser)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mongolia is vast. In fact if you look up vast in the dictionary is says 'see Mongolia'

It's a simply never ending grassland in parts (as I understand) and whilst still an adventure, I think it might become a bit of a trial crossing some of it.

Silk Road, pamirs etc is a regular route for overlanders, not as dangerous as some people would make it out to be.

For me it would be an east west traverse of North Africa and the Sahara. Unlikely due to safety issues. 2nd up is the stans, Mongolia out to Magadan

I'd love to do the Rockies on my quad. Great way to see the country with a wheel at each corner but still outdoors. I'd have my rifle up front and kit on the rear rack. Perfect.

Road of bones for me. I’m determined that someday somehow I’ll do it.

Having driven across Mongolia I can confirm it is indeed very large and very grassy.

Rob

I'd love to do the Rockies on my quad. Great way to see the country with a wheel at each corner but still outdoors. I'd have my rifle up front and kit on the rear rack. Perfect.
I’ve been through some of the Rockies by train. I’d love to do it in the cruiser. Canada is amazing and (correct me if I’m wrong here Chris) possibly even more vast than Mongolia.

Come to think of it, Lynn has an aching tooth to return in 2020. She’s probably not thinking Landcruiser though to be fair.

Possibly Rich, but I think there's less grass. Maybe more rocks though.

Since I saw Ewan McGregor and Charlie do it on bikes its looked amazing (and you can't fall off a cruiser)

Chris can :eusa-shhh:

In 2006, I was considering driving back from Qatar to Romania via Saudi, Kuwait, Iraq, Syria and Turkey.

It was about then that all hell broke loose down there, so we got on a plane instead.

I don't do this overlanding stuff, but I do fancy a European circuit - Serbia, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Greece, Bulgaria and back to Romania.

I guess it's a tame one compared with the silk road, but it would suit me not to go too wild first trip. Probably never happen, but one can dream...

Last edited:
that looks stunning HW.
there are so many on the dream list. road of bones being one of the ultimate, taking in as much sovietness as possible including Chernobyl.
Kazakhstan.
Chechnya.
as much as life, time and money allow me before I die.
oh, I nearly fell off the 80 roof bars once..

Can't get your car into Vietnam though unfortunately.

that looks stunning HW.
there are so many on the dream list. road of bones being one of the ultimate, taking in as much sovietness as possible including Chernobyl.
Kazakhstan.
Chechnya.
as much as life, time and money allow me before I die.
oh, I nearly fell off the 80 roof bars once..
I’d leave Chernobyl till last if I were you. Actually, I’d leave it out completely. But that’s just me. Driving a cruiser that came from Fukushima is enough for me. :lol:

Back